Final Cut Pro Level 1 Certification: Difficult? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 31st, 2005, 10:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Final Cut Pro Level 1 Certification: Difficult?

I got my first Mac back in July and Final Cut Studio to boot. Went through "Apple Pro Training Series: FCP 5" by Diana Weynand and just finished it. From this and general usage of FCP for my own projects, how difficult is Level 1 certification? I'm tentatively taking the exam in October at a local editing school.

Thanks in advance.
Old August 31st, 2005, 10:10 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I took the FCP 4.5 HD test. While the test is not too terribly difficult, they do throw some zingers in there. As with any program, there is more than one way to do a task. Just make sure you know "Apple's" way. Also, make sure you know your shortcuts and know a little bit about Soundtrack and Motion.

The hardest part about the test was the fact there were no pictures, so you've got to recall what screens look like and what's under every menu (in addition to keyboard shortcuts). This is really kinda stupid since Mac users tend to be more 'visual' oriented.

Apple needs to rethink their test. Hopefully the FCP 5 test is more visual based.

I got my certification, so it can't be too hard. :)
Xander Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 10:52 PM   #3
Major Player

Hmm, this is interesting to me. What is the goal of certification? Is it so you can teach FCP or is it so you can tech support or edit? These are totally different tests, in my opinion.

I've edited on FCP literally since the day 1.0 shipped. I do all sorts of stuff including b'cast shows (one that aired tonight on Discovery Health, actually, but it was done on AVID...ugh), etc. I bet I would fail that test.

I'd love to hear more about the specifics, though, if you have a chance. Since I do some teaching, it might be nice to have it.

Kevin
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 11:31 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks, Xander. I think I'll do okay, and the training book was actually fun to go through. Some "aha's" along the way. Strange how it's not visual at all though, as you say... I appreciate the tips.

Kevin: I've had a crap time finding any editing position (even so much as an internship) to prove that I am interested in doing this as a full time career. I've had a lot of time to sit at home, and since I just got into FCP recently, I figured, go all the way with it while slowly working on my own things. The certification I'm going for is end-user certification, not training certification. But they have that, too. The latter is most likely for you :)
Old September 1st, 2005, 06:41 PM   #5
Major Player

Good luck jumping in, James. Do anything you can do to get into a facility that might push some work to you. You're right about interning. No way will people hire you as an editor if you're just starting out. Get an internship, do all the stuff necessary to learn the facilities ways and volunteer to do some projects at night for them. It's a good way to get confidence from the employer.

Just my $.02. Hope it helps.

Kevin
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion