Anyone dealt with Unique photo before ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 14th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Anyone dealt with Unique photo before ?

I'm not inferring anything, but I put an order in with these guys for around $3000 through paypal. Nothing happened for two weeks then I was asked to wire them cash. Instead I asked for a refund through paypal as the order was now nearly three weeks old and got it OK, but just wondering if anyone has had any problems. With a wire transfer you have no comeback if things go wrong, especially an international one.
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 03:44 PM   #2
Tourist

Re: Anyone dealt with Unique photo before ?

I used to use them to purchase all of my pro film back in the late 90's and found them to be quick and dependable. A few of my buddies also used them for that and nothing was ever said about them among us. Times change, who knows, however I would like to think a phone call to management is due. 3 weeks is far too long for a transaction to take place without clear reasons being given for the delay.
Larry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Wiring of cash is to be avoided, period.

If they can't take a credit card or paypal, you don't want to do business with them. As the OP noted, with wired cash there is no recourse, and really there is no reason for a legitimate business to require it.

If Unique Photo is a legitimate business, you have to wonder if you were really dealing with them, or perhaps somebody trying to spoof their online presence.For example, if dvcam.com were a legitimate business, a scammer might open a lookalike website under a common misspelling, like dvcan.com. I'd think I was buying a camera from dvcam.com... but would actually be in contact with dvcan.

We should all be educated on common online scams. This page at Wikipedia is very helpful.
Old December 19th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #4
Major Player

Here's the link that was posted on this forum - it seems legit but maybe not

Unique Photo | Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2K Digital Camera Body Only (Black) DMCGH2K | uniquephoto.com
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 07:19 PM   #5
Tourist

I shop at their B&M store. Not always "buttoned up" (mis-priced items or can't find price) but honest people.
Ronny Mills is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion