Converting From Hi8 Analog to AVI at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 6th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Converting From Hi8 Analog to AVI

I converted my old Hi8 tapes to AVI files about 6 years ago.

Went straight from a digital8 camera via firewire into Sony Vegas.

I then added the FX filters Neat Video and a medium unsharp mask.

I would like to improve on what I have done and start from scratch.

Without breaking the bank, what approaches would you take?

Thanks...Alan
Alan Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Converting From Hi8 Analog to AVI

A digital-8 cam into Vegas via Firewire can't be improved on very much, unless there was some specific problem with the original captures. You would have created a DV-AVI file in this transfer process, that is, a DV25 codec in the AVI wrapper. Sony's version of this codec is actually quite good. So, I'd suggest starting from those original files if they are available.

Neat Video is fine for removing noise. With too heavy a hand, it can remove desired detail, and look kind of cartoony. I don't know how satisfied you are with the results.

Unsharp mask - another approach to blurring pixels and removing perceivable noise.

Were it me, I'd be looking at the scopes in Vegas, and focusing on blacks being black, whites white, and a good range with good color saturation in between. Color Correction is your primary tool here. If colors are good and only black level and white level need changing, Color Curves is excellent.

But the question is back to you - what don't you like about the previous work? Do you have a sample, even a still, of the original transfer and what you did to it?
Old January 8th, 2012, 05:15 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Converting From Hi8 Analog to AVI

Alan, as Seth says, you already did what can be done.

I've done tons of testing with old footage, and the Neat Video filter is as good as it can possibly get. Even with Neat, don't go too far, or you will start loosing detail. Old footage is old footage, it does not loose any of the sentimental value because it's scratchy, blurry, or noisy.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion