Can anyone explain image sensor throughput? Can you overclock an image sensor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 16th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #1
Major Player

Can anyone explain image sensor throughput? Can you overclock an image sensor?

Hello there. I've found information very lacking on the web that goes into detail about how image throughput of image sensors is derived. My point here is, how much data is streaming from an image sensor? Are video cameras, take the GH2 for instance, do their sensors have the ability to stream higher FPS but are throttled by the ability to write that data to disk?

How much data could come from an image sensor wide open, per second I guess is what I'm trying to figure out.

Cameras like the phantom that record thousands of FPS, are the sensors built differently for the throughput or are they overclocked like a computer cpu?

Anyone lol this is driving me nutts!
James Palanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Can anyone explain image sensor throughput? Can you overclock an image sensor?

Whoo, this is deep water for me, so I'll just doggy paddle around the edge, if that's ok.

If you look at the frame rates from the Phantom specifically, you'll notice that as they increase, the resolution drops quite considerably.

My guess, and that's all it is, is that in order to achieve such high frame rates, the camera needs to sum the contents of more and more pixels because with such short readout times they simply don't have adequate charge to work as seperate pixels.

As for anything else, yep, it's possible that their readout speeds could be increased, but you run into the same problem of the sensors not having adequate charge PLUS the fact that they all have to conform to a "standard" - well, no HD telly can display more than 1920 X 1080 X 60 X 8, so it seems rather daft to read data out faster than that unless you have a specific application that can use that data.

Probably of no use to you whatsoever, but there you go.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Can anyone explain image sensor throughput? Can you overclock an image sensor?

All information has uses ;p thats pretty nifty info. I'm basically trying to determine what yields higher FPS from a sensor - and if its possible to get more FPS out of a sensor that lets say, does 60 fps already.
James Palanza is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion