Seinfeld is the funniest. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 20th, 2012, 01:09 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Seinfeld is the funniest.

Over the last few years I've read various reviews that say the TV series Seinfeld is the funniest TV comedy of all time.

I suppose the number of replays in prime time is a good clue, but every now and then they play the show (reunion?) where writer/producer
Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld relive the origin and the early series.

I love it. The chemistry between those 2 is on show and in spades (a lot)

If you get a chance to see or re-see it, watch their body language, with tears in their eyes they nearly break up into uncontrolled laughs.

Yes I know some don't like it but my favourite ep. is the Jacket. Elaines father takes the cake, he's even funnier when you know of his actions on the set.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jacket_(Seinfeld)

Cheers.
Old February 20th, 2012, 05:36 AM   #2

Re: Seinfeld is the funniest.

Yes it is very funny. Wish they would remakenit again.
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Jalan I assume you mean another series, no it ran its famous course. Now they've all just got to remember to clear their mailboxes
of their big fat residual cheques .. every week.

Another classic episode is the 'Chinese Restaurant'. My favorite line is, just after the group leave fed up through waiting the whole episode for a table,
the maitre d' announces with a big smile ... 'Seinfeld! table for four!'

I actually did that in a local Chinese restaurant here, no reaction I'm afraid :(

Reading these Wikipedia entries is great .. enjoy.

The Chinese Restaurant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers.
Old February 25th, 2012, 02:04 PM   #4
Slash Rules!

For me, Seinfeld is THE funniest SITCOM ever, thus far. The absurdity, the surrealism, the way they got away with so much for the mores of the time ("master of your own domain," etc.)

That said, in the last few years a few contenders for funniest COMEDY (TV-wise) have come along. I'm very partial to the Office, at least the first 4-5 seasons, it's been a little lacking lately, and Arrested Development.

Strangely, with Curb Your Enthusiasm, I don't like it as much as Seinfeld. Both basically created by the same guy, one a more extreme, if someone less "out there" version of the other. I think it's 'cause Seinfeld was WRITTEN, whereas Curb is mostly improv'ed. The tightness of the writing (dialogue riffs, catchphrases, etc.) makes it more "rewatchable" over and over again than Curb, which, once you know where the series of plot twists eventually leads, leaves not too much reason to watch again. At least for me.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #5
Major Player

As an English viewer of US TV (in the UK) I vouch for the fact that Seinfeld is very funny and has wide appeal. For me, the thing most noticeable was that it was the first US sitcom I'd seen that completely dispensed with all sentimentality and schmalz (the norm with UK stuff), still a fairly rare thing.

The mention above of the US version of The Office is interesting as it definitely waters down the original in various ways. I'm always puzzled as to why so many series have to be remade for the US market, generally ruining them. The reverse almost never happens - we just watch the originals.
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion