Decent printer capable of printing on CDs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 1st, 2012, 04:07 PM   #1
Slash Rules!

Decent printer capable of printing on CDs?

Hi, all. So I have this HP printer. I'm going to refer to as the Raging POS, rather than use a model number. I paid $130, don't really use it that often, but am still plagued with weird colors sometimes when I try to print on CDs, and a new fun thing where it tells me my color print cartridge is faulty or incompatible, neither of which is remotely true.

Anyone have a recommendation for a printer that can print on DVDs directly (and of course paper too), scanner/copier would be nice (my current one does all this, but alas, it is, again, a Raging POS. So looking for something reliable and not prone to weird nonsensical errors. Thanks.

Let's say budget of $300ish?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 04:18 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Decent printer capable of printing on CDs?

I've settled on an Epson Artison 835 for the past few years.

It's been less hassle than nearly any other printer I've owned that does discs in addition to paper copies.

Like all of them, it takes a bit of learning. (The CD mechanism is integrated deep inside and you have to read the manual to learn how the control panel flips up to give access to the mechanized CD slot - and you've also got to learn how to go into the Print Settings dialog box to invoke the CD print cycle.

But once you get that stuff down, printing a DVD is about as simple as printing on paper.

Like all modern printers, the unit itself is dirt cheap but they believe their ink is actually Unicorn Blood worth hundreds of bucks an ounce, but what are you going to do? The entire printer industry is like that.

FWIW.
Old March 1st, 2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Slash Rules!

Mine seems to go insane every time I replace the ink. Even though it's very simple and I couldn't possibly have done it wrong, I usually have all sorts of weird problems for a while after putting in a new cartridge. Is yours like that?

My inks usually run around $30 for both the black and tricolor together.

PS do they sell yours at Best Buy, etc. or do I have to get fancy and order it from the super secret special store?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I've had 2 Epson R200s and have been using an Epson Stylus 1400 for about 3 years now. I can print dvds/cds and up to a 13X19 print. Yes it uses 6 cartridges and ink can get expensive over a period of time but the quality is great so I don't complain about the ink.
Old March 1st, 2012, 08:39 PM   #5
Trustee

I'm going back to LightScribe. My HP C5280 All-In-One is still working but squeaks and groans and cries to itself everytime I use the copier/scanner part of it, leaves me to believe each use may cause it to gasp it's last.

My newest computer has a LightScribe capable drive in it and I also have an external HP drive that does LightScribe. Fortunately I just have to label a few copies at a time, I actually run each printing twice to make the image look decent enough.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 09:00 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Bruce,

Has LightScribe become any faster lately? I've used it a few years back and it was painfully slow - a more complex writing took as much as half an hour... And yes, I did the same thing, ran it at least twice for it to look good.
Old March 1st, 2012, 09:23 PM   #7
Major Player

I use a Canon MG6220. It's an all-in-one, with a wifi connection so it works wirelessly, supports Airprint so it works with my iPad, and also uses gray inks for better B&W photo printing. I'm pleased with it.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 11:14 PM   #8
Slash Rules!

So is the long and short of it that you cant go wrong with epson or canon regardless of model? Or are there good and bad within those brands? Is it all about staying above a certain price point?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion