Sony EX3 VS Panasonic HPX 370 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 9th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony EX3 VS Panasonic HPX 370

I really like the color depth of CMOS sensors that sony uses, however i noticed the F stop on the sony lense is f/1.9 and the panasonic is f/1.6. Its also slightly wider as well.

I kinda like the action look of CCD and how it has no "jello" camera. I am going to be filming an indie film this summer and i am currently shooting a TV pilot. For broadcast TV

Right now i am shooting on a 7D and a 5D mark II with full shoulder mounts and seperate audio with a H4N.

Can i get buy with a 7D and a 5D mark II or should i get one of these?

If i am off track, and there is a better one i didnt list let me know!

Thanks!
Corey Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sony EX3 VS Panasonic HPX 370

The Sony PMW320 is probably a closer competitor to Panasonics 370 than the EX3, they both have a "proper" shouldermount form factor. Both of them are CMOS, as is the EX3.

Main advantage the Sony cameras have over the 370 is sensor size - 1/2" versus 1/3".
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Sensor size counteracts the f-stop of the Panasonics. F1.9 on a 1/2'' sensor will give better results than F1.6 on a 1/3''. The EX3 also has a wider field of view on full wide compared to all the Panasonics.

The one that will give you a better option for shallow DOF would be the EX3. However, the 370 is proven to be better than the EX3 when it comes to 720p mode's rolling shutter skew.

In a perfect world, there would be affordable global shutter CMOS sensors, but it looks like that is not coming anytime soon.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #4
Major Player

so the ex3 or pmw320 are the ones i should go with? also what is the equivalent "mm" on the ex3 and 320?

My canon 7d is a 1.6 crop and i have a 17mm which equates to a 28mm on full frame, which isnt quite wide enough for me.
Corey Benoit is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion