PD177 with External recording device possible? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 30th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #1
Tourist

PD177 with External recording device possible?

Hi all,
I am planning to buy 2 Sony PD177 mainly for schools and kids events shooting. I do this as a part time job. I dont have big budget to go for HD or HDV camera, so I decided to go for 2 Nos of PD177. One will stay on a tripod and other one will be moving around. Now my worries..:
1) Is it possible to record the video to an external device and cassette simultaneously??
2) Is there any option to record directly to my laptop (live). So that it will be very easy to edit the video later on.
3) Can any one suggest me a good combination (2 different cameras) rather than PD177 within the same price

Thanks a lot
Rasheed
Rasheed Thayalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 09:35 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: PD177 with External recording device possible?

From Sony's description of the PD177:

"More than just excellent product design, the DSR-PD177P also makes file-based workflow a breeze. Simply connect to the optional HVR-MRC1K Memory Recording Unit via an i.LINK connector and the camcorder is up and ready for HYBRID operation. Now, users can easily and simultaneously record video footage to both tape and a standard CompactFlash® Card, ensuring maximum flexibility and workflow efficiency."

The i.LINK output (IEEE 1394) should allow you to record to third party external recorders, or even computers with the IEEE input and the necessary software. I have done that in the past with a different DV camcorder and a Mac laptop with a firewire port (IEEE 1394).

Having said all of this, I would recommend that you get prosumer grade HD camcorders that record to flash memory and forget about tape. After recording to the flash memory, you can quickly load the files into your computer to start editing, which solves both questions (1) and (2) that you have. And, you would be shooting in HD, instead of standard definition. Numerous models from Sony, Panasonic and Canon would meet your needs, and are discussed and compared in various threads at this site. I stopped shooting standard definition to tape several years ago, and switched to flash memory based HD camcorders, and have never regretted that decision.
David Sholle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks a lot David Sholle for prompt reply.
I heard it is very difficult to edit HD with windows platform.
I love sony products. so could you please suggest any model please.

Thanks a lot
Rasheed
Old April 30th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm not a Windows user, but there are many threads on this website about editing HD on both Windows and Mac. With recent machines, it should not be a problem.

As for Sony camcorders, there are numerous models, from the high end consumer to the prosumer and up range. As you go up in price, you get extra features, such as XLR audio inputs, which may or may not be important to you.

Here are two Sony models at B&H, a high end consumer model and a prosumer model with XLR:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/838329-REG/Sony_HDR_CX760V_B_HDR_CX760V_High_Definition_Handycam.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761581-REG/Sony_HXR_NX70U_HXR_NX70_Compact_Dust_and.html
If you don't need a viewfinder, but only an LCD, Sony (and others) have far less expensive models with no viewfinder.

There are numerous other models from Canon and Panasonic and JVC that would work fine. Spend some time looking through the forums here to see the advantages and disadvantages of the various models, and how they mesh with your needs. For example, if you are going to be shooting in low light, some models are better than others.
David Sholle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 12:16 AM   #5
Tourist

Thanks a lot for your reply.
Low light will be the biggest challenge for me, any way i am learning a lot of things from this forum. let me study and decide. I will post here my decision. thanks everybody
Old May 6th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #6
Tourist

Finally we decided to go with Z5 (Main) and NX70 (Secondary) - i don't know where to get PAL version of these cameras. any way here is the link to B&H
1) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582905-REG/Sony_HVR_Z5U_HVR_Z5U_Professional_HDV_Camcorder.html 2) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761581-REG/Sony_HXR_NX70U_HXR_NX70_Compact_Dust_and.html
Is this a good option as long as the video quality is concerned?
Rasheed Thayalar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion