Recording Skype Interviews at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 29th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Recording Skype Interviews

I need to capture a series of Skype interviews for use in a project.

I'm on Mac.

Does anyone have recommendations or experiences on what software works best? Intend to edit in final cut pro 7 with my other footage.

This looks reasonably promising:

Call Recorder for Skype - The Skype Audio/Video Call Recording Solution for Mac - Ecamm Network

Anything else? Any personal experiences doing something like this?
Sam Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Recording Skype Interviews

I used Screenflow to record one side of the conversation. It worked just fine. Although you don't record yourself, it suited the interview well because I wanted the interviewee to look at the camera and not at me. I'm sure any screen recorder can do it. I just happened to already own the software.
Chris Hsiung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Equal Opportunity Offender

I've purchased and used the Applian Skype recorder (Record Skype Video and Voice Calls with Replay Telecorder) and it worked perfectly for the audio that I was after.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Trustee

I use iShowUHD. Similar to Camtasia. Records anything audio and video.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Edwin Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 11:21 PM   #6
Trustee

Wow! Had no idea. Been using iShowUHD for so long. This is a great find! Thanks!
Old June 5th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the all the suggestions. I experimented with ScreenFlow 3 so far and it worked quite well.

Will try the Quicktime method tonight! Looks great, hope it captures the computer audio.
Sam Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Here's another thought - if you have a multi-channel audio interface you can loop the output back into an input and use a regular DAW such as Audacity to record. I have an Echo Audio AudioFire 8 8-channel interface and it will operate in full-duplex mode, meaning the 8 input channels and the8 output channels aren't linked in any way. I can send 8 different record signals in all the while playing back 8 completely different output signals. My mic goes into inputs 1 and 2 and the playback comes out on outs 1 & 2. These I've designated in the control panel to be the Windows default audio channels for recording and playback snf that's what Skype will use. I send all inputs and outputs through a Mackie mixing desk and I can route anything to anything by switch settings or patch cords. So using my mixer I can tap off from outputs 1&2 as they head to the monitors and loop them back into inputs 3&4 and I can setup my audio editing software to record from 2&4 instead of 1&2. So as long as the computer is fast enough, Skype can be using record and playback 1&2 while a DAW uses record and playback 3&4 or whatever combination floats your boat. With a mixing desk for flexible routing you can do all sorts of magic.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion