Using HDMI with a non HDMI TV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 11th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Tourist

Using HDMI with a non HDMI TV

I am a professional photographer that connects a Windows 7 Professional 64 bit PC to my 65 inch Misubishi HD TV to display portrait images to my clients.

I am using a graphics card in my PC that has an S-video output which connects to the S-Video input on the TV. Everything works good.

I would like to purchase a new graphics card to get better performance with two of my software packages. Most of the newer graphic cards have an HDMI output not S-video.

I am trying to figure out if it is possible to connect the graphics card HDMI output to the component video input on the TV.

Can anyone please help me?

Thanks very much.

Bill
Bill Artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Using HDMI with a non HDMI TV

Er, Bill.................

Umm, It was my understanding that HDTV was practically synonomous with HDMI and that all Full HD TV's were equipped with same, the only reason anyone was going to go for full digital HD in the first place (and there was bugger all reason for going analogue only HD).

I am obviously mistaken or you are.

My 46" Sony Full HD set, now an antique at 6 years old, has two HDMI ports, plus just about anything else you can think of as extant 6 years ago, including Component, and yes, shudder, even S Video

Check your manual, I can't believe it doesn't have at least one HDMI port.

S Video - geez, ice age.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
(and there was bugger all reason for going analogue only HD).

CS
One good reason to go analog...

No HDCP! A plague to we professionals, HDCP on hdmi, while keeping ordinary folks from making illicit copies of The Lion King on Blu-Ray, poses no end of headaches for those of us who are trying to get our own content on anything other than a screen.
Old June 12th, 2012, 02:10 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hey, I didn't do it, and wasn't even bloody well asked!

There was no way on the planet that Sony (for it was them, primarilly) were going to allow digital copying of content from digital playing devices to digital recording/ displaying devices, unless they had total control of the link between one and the other.

That it has bought them a couple of years is obvious, hasn't lasted though, been broken already and adapters are already out there which allow the pirates free reign.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 02:15 AM   #5
Major Player

Bill,

Not sure about US TVs, but most large sets in Europe have an analogue component input and many also have a VGA port which can, subject to graphics card, display 1920x1080p. Most graphics cards have DVI-I outputs that provide both digital and analogue outputs depending on the cable type used and the destination display.

If you are forced to rely on a display component input, there are converters that will change the analogue VGA signal into a component one.

If all else fails on the graphics card front, there is the HD Fury device that will convert a HDMI output into a VGA analogue signal for display on a monitor/TV.
Steve Game is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion