Recommendations for getting geared up at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 8th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Recommendations for getting geared up

Hey guys, so since I did the wedding video which I mentioned in the thread that many of you were super helpful in, I've gotten contacted about doing a few more weddings. I'd like to take the money from these and invest it into some more solid gear, being smart with my money but also getting all my bases covered.

I guess first I'll list what I currently have, then what I'm looking into getting.

I have a Canon t3i, and immediate access to another t3i with a kit lens and a 50mm 1.8 at basically any point I would need it.
I have a Canon 18-55, 50mm 1.8, and a Rokinon 85mm 1.4 for lenses, I plan on renting the Canon IS 70-200 for the weddings, and probably a 24-70 as well, but would be interested in recommendations for other good video lenses to have.
I have a battery grip, 2 batteries, 4-5 16gig class 10 cards, a 701HDV head, some crappy old sticks someone gave me, an extra quick release plate and adapter for the 701, and Flycam nano.

I friend has also let me indefinitely borrow their h4n, as they never use it.
I have an Azden shotgun mic (forget the model), a cheap wired lapel mic...

A small LED Neewer LED video light, a (I think 3 stop off the top of my head) ND filter that's small, I've only used it with the 50.

Random other little stuff... Off the top of my head I think that's pretty much it though.

I'd like to get some new sticks, another head, a slider, a few more batteries and cards, possibly a budget/smaller jib (Aviator travel jib?), possibly something like a Gini rig, a Gopro, a good wireless mic or 2, a variable ND or 2, and a more solid stabilizer that will work better with heavier rigs, possibly a Glidecam 2000 or something similar...

A bit farther down my list would be like a 5d2, my own h4n, my own telephoto..

Basically, what are your guys experiences and what would you recommend? There are so many sliders, sticks, jibs, etc out there I'm having a hard time pick out exactly what would be a good idea. I'm willing to pay more if it's worth it, but not waste money.

Also: This isn't just a wedding kit, they just happen to be the next things i have coming up - I'm also going to be working on some other projects soon where this kit will be helpful.

Thanks,
Evan

(Random aside: What does one have to spend to get a solid mac desktop editing setup? I'm running off a 2010 macbook pro right now and it's pretty sketchy when you start really working)
Old July 8th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Recommendations for getting geared up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Bourcier View Post
I have a Canon t3i, and immediate access to another t3i with a kit lens and a 50mm 1.8 at basically any point I would need it.
I have a Canon 18-55, 50mm 1.8, and a Rokinon 85mm 1.4 for lenses, I plan on renting the Canon IS 70-200 for the weddings, and probably a 24-70 as well, but would be interested in recommendations for other good video lenses to have.
My suggestions:
50mm 1.4 offers a big difference at a small price. It is also more robust.
If autofocus isn't required, the Samyang/Bowens 35mm f1.4
Tokina 11-16mm f2.8
17-55mm Canon f.28 IS
70-200mm f2.8 L IS

Obviously, if manual focus is okay, you can also look at Leica R primes, though I don't have experience with them. Jon Fairhurst has given me some solid advice a few months ago on this forum on Leica glass and the use of diffusers.

Quote:
...I'd like to get some new sticks, another head, a slider, a few more batteries and cards, possibly a budget/smaller jib (Aviator travel jib?), possibly something like a Gini rig, a Gopro, a good wireless mic or 2, a variable ND or 2, and a more solid stabilizer that will work better with heavier rigs, possibly a Glidecam 2000 or something similar...
I prefer aluminium tripods over carbon fiber tripods - I use Benro A3570T, which is cheap but exceptionally stable for video. For the fluid head, Manfrotto. I've also used Gitzo gear, and nothing wrong with the quality - I just prefer heavy tripods!

Slider? Kessler Cine Slider. I'm going to try to mount a C300 on one this week for a corporate shoot! A motorized slider can get more done, obviously - but does your business justify the expense?

Lights? Even though there are many Chinese LED panels (and some of them are quite good), I'll have to recommend Litepanels flood - for interviews it works great. Obviously for a wedding you'll probably need more power and control - Lowel tungsten lighting kit perhaps?

Quote:
(Random aside: What does one have to spend to get a solid mac desktop editing setup? I'm running off a 2010 macbook pro right now and it's pretty sketchy when you start really working)
Can I interest you in a PC-based workflow? :)
Old July 9th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the thoughts Sareesh, will definitely look into all that!

I've seen a lot of good stuff on the Cine Slider, it's a little more expensive than I was really thinking though. It looks like by the time you put feet and whatnot on it it's almost $2k.
Does anyone have experience with anything like the Konova K3 slider? It's $500 for the 30 inch version with the crank kit. Otherwise there's the phillip bloom pocket dolly, which is $1200 all said and done.
Is it just me or is it impossible to center mount a kessler pocket dolly on one tripod without their special hercules head? If so, there's another $380.
The last big one I know of in that price range is the Cinevate atlas 10, which looks cool but is still close to $1000 said and done.

I looked up the sticks you mentioned and they looked nice, has anyone tried the Weifeng 717 sticks/head? Only $150 and I've heard some relatively good things about them, even as just a backup/second cam tripod it might be worth having.

Is there some kind of cheaper third party alternative to manfrotto quick release adapters? I'd like to get a few more to make everything match up but the like $75 just seems a little ridiculous for what it is.
Old July 10th, 2012, 06:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Check the camera support section, but I highly recomment the Vinten Vision Blue. The head in particular is more fluid than my friends more expensive Manfrotto.

I was going to get a dolly but have been talked out of it in favour of a slider and/or crane. Leaning towards a crane at this point.

Sennheiser wireless kit including the but plug will help you connect to PA systems and a variety of mics, but you may also need a mixer.

Hope that helps!
Ryan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Major Player

Ok guys, so I have another wedding booked for a month from now, so I'm figuring out what to do gear wise. They wanted the budget version, so they supposedly aren't worried about audio or anything, they just want "A really cool music video" type video. I'm kinda tempted to buy a Konovo K3 31.5" slider off Amazon for $350 so I have a quality one (all glowing reviews), and possibly buy a fancier one later.

I'm looking at renting a Canon 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 IS, a monopod, and possibly a Gopro (Funky angles and stuff could be cool, and I'm considering buying one).

I'd still use the crappy wireless mics I have access to just so I have something for the ceremony, but if they say they don't want audio I'm not gonna dump money into it quite yet. Part of me is debating not renting the 24-70 because the Tamron last time was too heavy to use on the flycam so I just used the 18-55 most of the time... I dunno. What're your thoughts. On a budget what would you buy/rent, seeing what I have already?

Thanks,
Evan

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion