How much would you pay for a Motorized Slider? (is there a market?) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 12th, 2012, 12:02 AM   #1
Major Player

How much would you pay for a Motorized Slider? (is there a market?)

So, I've finished building my own motorized slider and I'm considering putting it into production if there was adequate interest.
I'm curious as to what people would consider the sweet spot for this system, here are some details.

Current Model - 48 Inches Travel
Motor is a simple left, right, variable speed system (you spin a knob, it increases or decreases speed)
Stainless Steel / Aluminum construction, very durable, precise.
Either sits by itself or can be mounted to tripod heads.

Basically the features u find on most decent slider systems already around, except motorized. Battery is rechargeable, lasts a few hours. Not really heavier than current sliders.

Was thinking a good bit under thousand? Could maybe bring it down even more if I had a lot of orders. Not looking to make huge profits but moreso to offer a quality product to a large market.

Any input, LMK
James Palanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:32 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: How much would you pay for a Motorized Slider? (is there a market?)

I would consider one at around $500. Any more than that and I would make it myself.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I think there are two different markets for sliders. Ron and I are in one of them, the lower-price market. There are many >$1000 conventional sliders out there, I wouldn't buy one, but I might rent it. I would consider a great deal on a used premium slider, but might buy $300 worth of parts and build one some day.

Many others need a pro-level slider on a regular basis, and are making money with them. For this group, $1500 or more makes sense for a premium product that is well supported, works great, has state-of-the-art performance, from a company that will be around in a couple years when they lose a foot or something.

Some time-lapse photogs are integrating servo sliders with servo camera control, to get slide moves into their time-lapses.

Didja' see Matthew's Studio Equipment version of a slider? The Floatcam DC Slider is $5,500 if I remember, but oh so sweet!
Old July 18th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Major Player

It sounds good in theory but I think it would need a remote controlled head on it to make it really useful.
Mark Koha is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion