Flying with Equipment at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 13th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #1
Major Player

Flying with Equipment

Can anyone let me know what the traveling climate is right now in the US in regards to camera equipment? I have an XHA1 and a smaller Vixia camera that I'd want to bring, and maybe a LAV and a shotgun mic. Then of course, there's the tripods. Even if I use a small camera bag that I can carry on, I'm not sure how to deal with my big Libec sticks. If we only get one piece of luggage to that we can check, do they charge you a bunch to check your tripod? And the bag doesn't lock...does it mater?

One thing for sure is that I definitely don't want to check my camera. Wonder if should mail my tripod to the location, hehe.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Jeremiah
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Flying with Equipment

I traveled this year with many pelican cases , audio gear, tripods,dolly and track. I carried my 5dmk2 and ex3 on board as carry on and never had any issue.

I had a tube for my tripod and light stands. and you dont have to lock anything in fact if you due you have to use tsa approved locks. , my tripod tube had no locks , didnt loose anything but a pair of headphones that disappeared thru tsa screening.
Brent Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Check with your carrier then Fedex the lot to be safe and sure.

Cheers.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 04:11 AM   #4
Major Player

I only have the standard soft bag for my Libec tripod. Should I definitely NOT check it then?

I might be able to borrow a tube from someone. I guess another option is to just rent a tripod for the event.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 04:54 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Jeremiah, that's correct, never ever check a tripod into an aircraft hold if it doesn't have solid protection.

If you have time you could make a tube like this one ..

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...ode-blimp.html

I'd make yours out of slightly more solid pipe and put some light steel rings around the outside for added protection,
but I've been throwing my Blimp case into trucks and aircraft holds for the last 3 years without any trouble whatsoever.

Or you could measure your Libec, then buy a suitable golf bag travel case, there's plenty available.
Note on the outside it's a camera tripod not a golf bag and include its weight. At most terminals and hubs now,
you can get them security wrapped for a modest cost. HTH

Cheers.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 08:33 AM   #6
Wrangler

A number of the major airlines (Delta, American, Southwest) still have "media rate" allowances which let you travel with gear under special provisos, which are generally a cap of $50 per piece for excess baggage (which these days can be quite a bit more than that normally), plus the weight limit goes up from 50 to 100 lbs. You will need to show an ID badge that identifies you as a member of the media.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 01:28 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Most airlines allow you to check in an oversized (maxed at ~50lbs) golf club case free of charge. We have brought our very large hardshell golf club case (purchased for $159 at a sporting good store) filled with two tripods, poompole, a small jib and duvetyne/blankets (as padding) on half a dozen international and a dozen domestic trips. I check in a Pelican case with lights, camera rig and audio gear and carry bodies/lenses/etc.. in a backpack on board.
Old October 6th, 2012, 06:48 AM   #8
Trustee

do the x-rays damage flush cards?

stelios
Old October 9th, 2012, 01:04 AM   #9
Major Player

I managed to fit my XHA1 and my smaller canon into a carry-on sized bag. I also borrowed a tripod tube case and so that's good to be checked. One problem I'm running into now is my Sennheiser shotgun mic. Has anyone been hassled by inspectors of a long microphone? It's the ME67 so even if I take it apart it's still pretty long. I was thinking of putting it in the bottom of the tripod case, but I don't want it going missing, hehe.
Old October 9th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #10

Is it more relaxed in Europe airports or about the same? Would I be ok to say pack a monopod in my suitcase and carry a small camcorder and Canon 650D on board?
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #11
Major Player

Just an update. Except for a slight freakout when my tripod didn't appear in the baggage carousel (it was in the odd package area, hehe) everything was smooth.

Security made me remove the cameras from the bag, but didn't even blink at the shotgun mic.
Old October 10th, 2012, 03:23 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides View Post
do the x-rays damage flush cards?

stelios
No, the x-ray screening does not affect the memory cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalan Salur View Post
Is it more relaxed in Europe airports or about the same? Would I be ok to say pack a monopod in my suitcase and carry a small camcorder and Canon 650D on board?
Security in European airports is tight, but I believe it is "worst" in the USA.
Never check in any camera. This should be carry-on only. (This is also specified in many airlines' recommendations).
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 07:51 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Get a golf club/bag case. It can hold a tripod, boom pole and a few light stands plus some small lights. No one gives them a second look.
Dan
Daniel Larson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion