VHS to HD transfer service? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 10th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: VHS to HD transfer service?

I only do vhs transfers where the client want's a lot of work to make them look as good as possible. As mentioned there is a lot that can be done but to get it to look good in today's HD world it takes a lot of time because you're not able to apply "auto" correction tools. Because of the low cost options I can't compete with the "Costco" type of transfers but if someone wants a high quality transfer my workflow is to use a Panasonic AG-7750 deck ingesting with a Blackmagic Design Declkink HD Extreme. That gives me the best starting point. Then it's a long process of clean up.

I have done other projects where the edit incorporates old footage wither form VHS or even 16mm film. For those, I like to actually go the other way and make it very clear that it is old footage being cut in. It gives a nostalgic feel and because it's apparent that it's from old footage, nobody expects it to look that good.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion