American TV Ad Production - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 16th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #31
Trustee

Re: American TV Ad Production

Be aware that sometimes the people providing the specs are not always correct with the info they are giving you. I see this all the time with spec sheets provided by TV stations. For example, in the specs provided by KCOY, they specify that your black levels should not drop below 7.5 IRE, when in fact you do not add setup to digital files which should have black at 0 not 7.5 IRE. Black levels at 7.5 IRE should only be used when adding setup to analog tape.
Old February 16th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #32
Inner Circle

What amazes me is how many local ad insertions are still done with SD material. Here in the Portland, OR market, there were very many SD ads - during the Super Bowl! (I can imagine how much SD there is in smaller markets.)

Based on the "inverted triangle" view, I'm amazed. Any kid with an iPhone and iMovie can produce HD content. Why are so many old-school, local ad agencies still producing SD? Shooting HD is peanuts compared to running the ads. As a consumer, when I see an SD ad, I think "cheap" and form a negative brand impression. I guess there are always sheep to be fleeced...
Old February 17th, 2013, 02:38 AM   #33
Trustee

Jon the Ad I did was shot and post in HD but then they asked for Pro Res HQ SD or digi beta for delivery as a lot of local TV here is still SD!

I provided both HD and SD to cover all aspects!
Old February 17th, 2013, 01:54 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
What amazes me is how many local ad insertions are still done with SD material. Here in the Portland, OR market, there were very many SD ads - during the Super Bowl! (I can imagine how much SD there is in smaller markets.)

Based on the "inverted triangle" view, I'm amazed. Any kid with an iPhone and iMovie can produce HD content. Why are so many old-school, local ad agencies still producing SD? Shooting HD is peanuts compared to running the ads. As a consumer, when I see an SD ad, I think "cheap" and form a negative brand impression. I guess there are always sheep to be fleeced...
It's pretty much the reverse here.. on a HD channel you see HD ads, and HD bought content (shows from abroad), but local stuff is still mostly SD..
Sander Vreuls is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion