Bve 2013 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 12th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #1
Major Player

Bve 2013

I want to go to the BVE trade show in London in February but it says trade only. Now I am in the process of setting up my company and want to go and check out a number of products that would be pretty hard to have a look at elsewhere.

I have actually filled in the form stating I am setting up and I have got the confirmation email so I guess it's ok.

I just wanted to ask if anyone has had problems being allowed in. I don't want to book a train down if I'm likely to get kicked out!
Andy Solaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: Bve 2013

Don't know how it is in the UK Andy but here in the States you would never be denied entry into a show like that. If you're serious about the market, the industry and the gear, then the exhibitors will definitely want you to attend. In my experience over here, "trade only" just means that the show isn't open to the general unwashed public right off the streets. There are only two things you need in order to call yourself a filmmaker, or a videographer, or photographer, or editor or whatever. Those two things are:

-- a working phone number
-- a legible business card

That's it. Hope this helps! And please be sure to give us a show report!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 08:33 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Andy, get there early each day.

Get a map and mark the areas you want to visit in successive order so you don't retrace your steps, wasting time.
Note where the food is being sold.

Take camera, fresh batteries, note book, energy bars and bottled water .. and wear good walking shoes.
I learned that the hard way. Have fun.

Cheers.
Old January 13th, 2013, 02:29 AM   #4
Major Player

Andy,

As Chris says, 'trade only' just means that you must have some interest of video/etc. other than as a private individual. You can be a one man band, (so many of them walk around calling themselves DP) and you will need to wear the entry badge whilst in the hall.
You will of course get e-mailed by suppliers who scan the barcode on your badge.
Its worth going if London is a day trip for you. This year, the event is at the Excel in Docklands for the first time.

steve

p.s. You can take a camera but it will need to be registered on entry and many of the stand minders may object if you try taking shots of their domain. If you want to get shots of products on display then use a phone camera. If you want to try out a camera, then it could be worth taking your own media to record onto for analysis back home.

Last edited by Steve Game; January 13th, 2013 at 05:09 AM.
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 04:48 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Andy, you should be fine - as long as you have the pre-registration e-mail with you they will just scan the bar code on it and give you a badge. That's it, job done, you're in. They just want to keep the riff-raff from wandering in off the streets out I guess, as suggested by Chris. Think of it this way, someone just setting up in this business WILL DEFINITELY be spending some money on cameras and related kit!

I normally go and meet one or two film mates at BVE so it's a good social as well as business activity for me - especially when we hit the pub after ;-)

I always find BVE interesting, busy and useful. For example last year I "test drove" a Vinten Vision tripod (and a few other things) which are now in my kit.

This year it's at EXCEL rather than the old Earls Court so we'll see how that goes...There is a very good Chinese restaurant nearby too.
Old January 13th, 2013, 05:43 AM   #6
Trustee

As others have said just pre register and you will be fine.

I spent all of the summer at the Excel as commentary manager on the Olympics and it is a far better venue than Earls court with the DLR being the main train access.

There are two bar/pubs called The FOX. one near the entrance (DLR Custom House) and the other over next door to the Premier Inn and the Ramada hotels near DLR Prince Regent..

There are also chinese and other restaurants nearby and a mini market a short walk away.

Excel is huge and we were clocking up 20-30 miles a day during the Olympics but it can be split off into sections, there is a huge car park underground and there are several food and drink outlets inside but they are expensive so eat at The Fox before hand and they do a superb home made burger and chips for around £10.

The Hotels nearby are the Aloft, Premier Inn and the Ramada with other smaller ones like the Custom House but they will all be expensive so it may be better staying at Stratford or Beckton or even in town but it is easy to commute via the DLR. London city airport is also nearby and the planes take off over the Excel.

The area is very pleasant and we enjoyed going up to Stratford where the main Olympic Park is as well as a huge shopping mall with restaurants etc.

I will hopefully be down for a couple of days so it will be good to visit all my old Olympic haunts and it is worth having a wander round the Olympic Park if it is open.

I have been going to London for decades but we all commented on how refreshing the docklands area is now and a pleasant experience away from the tube and the manic areas of central town.
Old January 13th, 2013, 09:45 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass View Post
I will hopefully be down for a couple of days so it will be good to visit all my old Olympic haunts and it is worth having a wander round the Olympic Park if it is open.
Gary,

Unfortunately, the Olympic Park won't be open until late July/August when Boris plans a big bike weekend in 'Park North'. If they ever stop haggling over legacy issues, there may be concerts held in the stadium in late June, and there will obviously be short term access to 'Park South', but the surrounding park will still be fenced off. Come BVE 2014, then a visit will probably be worthwhile.

Steve
Steve Game is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion