Interesting looking printer for direct to disk printing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 6th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Interesting looking printer for direct to disk printing

Venetian Eco Solvent Printer - Venetian Solvent Ink System

When I was getting some disks, I had a Xerox rep call me about this printer, it's around 600.00, and wanted to get some opinions from everyone. What do you think?
Old February 6th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Interesting looking printer for direct to disk printing

I decided a while back, that the A3 printer I use (Pixma 9000) was borderline worth having, and much as I lusted after bigger printer, I had to accept that it would not make economic sense. So I now farm out big print jobs. So looking at the printer you linked to, I'm wondering how many disks you'd process in an average year?

It does look interesting though. A nice glossy finish and it doesn't need printable disks. Those refillable ink reservoirs are going to keep media costs down as well.
Old February 6th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've been using the HP 9180 and the Canon PRO 9000 for my print business.
Just purchased a new Canon Pro 9000 II off of Craigslist for $150. I use bulk
ink from Rjetek on the Canon and will be able to use that same ink on the new
printer, and the new printer also prints on dvd's. Haven't set it up yet, but if you
could find a deal on the Pro 9000 II (they were bundled with canon cameras so
they're out there cheap) it might be a better all around solution.
Stephen Brenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #4
Trustee

As a hobbyest the price point is too high. However, I liked reading the part that the ink surface is highly water and scratch proof. Maybe in a few years I one could pick up a used one for cheap.

That's one thing I don't like about inkjet printers is the water-soluble ink.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 12:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I use a 4 year old Canon MX850 all-in-one to print disk, which doesn't support to prints to disks in the North American market, but does internationally.. I simply bought the disk tray off of eBay, and lied to the printer's firmware and told it that it was in the UK. The output is beautiful and as good as it can possibly get anywhere with inkjet technology.

Now, the notion of solvent print is great - because it's glossy. It will print on anything plastic. But it's important to note it's still CYMK technology, so if you want to get the colors right with it, you need to get white *glossy* media - which is available. This is why even the old screen print method sometimes requires a white flood coat first before the image is laid on. Of course, printing directly on uncoated silver media is possible as an artistic choice.
Gene Gajewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Gajewski View Post
I use a 4 year old Canon MX850 all-in-one to print disk, which doesn't support to prints to disks in the North American market, but does internationally.. I simply bought the disk tray off of eBay, and lied to the printer's firmware and told it that it was in the UK. The output is beautiful and as good as it can possibly get anywhere with inkjet technology.
Well that got my attention. I used to use an MX530 for office printing and CDs, but I messed it up doing double sided too quickly (printing the opposite side before the ink was dry on the first side). No amount of cleaning would prevent it from leaving black marks on new prints, so I went out and bought an MX860.

I absolutely took it for granted that the MX860 would do CDs, and I was not happy to discover that it doesn't. But I have just looked closely and there is nowhere to slide the CD tray, hacked firmware or not!

It's a bugger because I have to use my Pixma 9000 pro to do CDs, and as I don't use it very often, it pains me to have to charge the print heads to do a few CDs, whereas the office printer is on the go all the time.

BTW I later found a trick on the web about lightly spraying a sheet of A$ paper with kitchen cleaner, and feeding it through the printers cleaning cycle. I haven't tried it yet though.
Old February 13th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I think Canon got into a fist-fight over patents with another printer maker (Epson?). It's ridiculous, and I hope the EU puts the whammy to US created patents as being too fanciful. Next thing you know, someone's gonna patent breathing 'air' while browsing and we're all going to have to hold our breath.

I'm interested in my next printer being a semi-pro for photography, but still have to have a disk printer. So far, Epson seems to be the one that's constantly producing models for disk printing.

Sorry about Canon dropping the disk unit. It's a shame, really.
Gene Gajewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion