Would you buy a used EX3 (or any camera) used off Ebay? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 30th, 2013, 06:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Would you buy a used EX3 (or any camera) used off Ebay?

Hello All!

I have a tough decision to make and was hoping you all could chime in with your perspectives to help me make a better informed decision. I've been in production for nearly 20 years but haven't worked as an independent producer for the past 10 years and so all of my personal production equipment has gone out of date. The most glaring is my camera. I still have a Sony PD100A. After what seems like months of comparing specs of current camera models, I've decided upon an EX3. I don't want to buy it new at $8500 as I know Sony is bound to come up with a replacement soon since it has already had a long career on the market. I have decided that my budget is going to be $5500 or less and so this puts me into the realm of a used EX3. Enough background... Here are the questions...

Would you buy a used EX3 off of Ebay?

I am an experienced ebay shopper but have never made such a huge ticket purchase before. What really concerns me is I have found this listing which is ultra fishy to me.
Sony XDCAM EX PMW EX3 Camcorder Black 0027242731837 | eBay

I have scrutinized the ebay listing in that link and have come to the conclusion that somehow a scammer has hacked into poor Anita's Ebay account and is offering high end items with $2500 buy it now. Anita has over 13,000 feedbacks with a 100% rating and all from selling items for under $50 and now suddenly she is selling big ticket items. Check out her online store and you'll see what I mean. This has totally shaken my faith in trusting Ebay's rating system and definitely has me questioning the wisdom of buying an EX3 from Ebay.

2nd question is... Would you even buy a used video camera like an EX3 without holding it in your hands first?

I am basically hoping to hear some advice, thoughts and experiences on the subject. Thanks for your help. Joe
Joe Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 07:28 AM   #2
Slash Rules!

Re: Would you buy a used EX3 (or any camera) used off Ebay?

scary stuff, wouldnt do it. there are places like b&h photo and others that are established entities that sell used. you wont get quite the sweet deal as on ebay, but at least you have somewhere to go if theres a problem, and these are real, trusted companies as well.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #3
Major Player

So far I've only bought used cameras from private sellers, but this particular listing is definitely the work of villains. If you haven't already done so, please contact eBay to warn them (for whatever it's worth). In each listing is a link to "Report Listing," and you can select "suspect listing is fraudulent" from a drop-down menu. Doing so myself as well.

Curious if contacting gmail regarding this "BrianTick40@gmail.com" would result in any positive resolution
Old March 30th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #4
Major Player

Caveat Emptor - let the buyer beware!!

Seems like the bargain of the century eh? so are some of the other listings! looks like a wish list for whatever your into!

I wouldn't touch this with a barge pole.
If it's too good to be true - it probably is.

be careful please.

R
Old March 30th, 2013, 09:24 AM   #5
Space Hipster

That particular Ebay posting is a scam. There are plenty of legitimate postings, though.

I've bought 4 HD cameras in the last 6 years, 3 of those being used. With today's solid state cameras, wear and tear isn't as big of an issue. There's no moving parts, except for zoom rockers, etc. Modern cameras are built pretty good.
And of all the cameras I bought, the brand new one had the most issues.

The EX3 is a very good camera.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 09:32 AM   #6
Trustee

I've done lots of business on eBay and have had many successful camera buys and sells. There are good deals to be found, but expect them to be within reason for high ticket items like a camcorder. For the most part people are honest, but as said before, if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. Completing the sale outside of eBay like the seller requests is against their policy and you should never do it. It's also a pretty obvious red flag that there's something sketchy going on. Its not hard to research people these days - Google is your friend...

https://www.google.com/search?q=bria...&client=safari
Old March 30th, 2013, 10:02 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Holt View Post
2nd question is... Would you even buy a used video camera like an EX3 without holding it in your hands first?
The only type of camera I would buy blind is a new one, second hand I always need to see and check myself, you are not getting any guarantee if there is a serious error. I sold my xh-a1 about 2 weeks ago and only allowed buyers to pick it up at my place, I spend about 2 hours showing and testing the camera so they could see the camera was in mint condition. When they pay and I hand over the camera they know what they are getting at that moment, any issue that might occur afterwards is either a user error or bad luck. If you buy from Ebay you have to rely on a description telling you the camera is ok.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Over the last 10 or so years, I have purchased 3 cameras off of ebay and have had complete luck and success with them. HOWEVER, I don't buy from just anyone. I make sure they have some track history, I ask questions and I don't use but it now. Using a bit of common sense in my purchases I've not been bitten but if you don't feel comfortable doing it, then don't!
Old March 30th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #9
Inner Circle

That listing is a scammer, "offering" an off eBay transaction, I'm surprised the spiders haven't caught it yet, perhaps all the "upgrades" at ebay have broken the protections - for a while, these type listings were being cauht and banished in a couple hours...

Yes, you have to be careful, but eBay has "buyer protection" if you follow ALL their rules (and I suggest use a credit card for the purchase for "backup"). So from a $$ standpoint, you're relatively safe. As for functionality, you have to know how to run through all the functions of whatever you buy, make sure everything works as expected, and it doesn't hurt to know if there are any "known issues" with the specific model that might apply to the one you're buying. Typically though, if it works, it works... and I don't mind buying "lightly tested" as I always seem to buy the "bad" one off the shelf! My luck is far better buying "used"... but that's probably just me

There aren't as many sellers/resellers of good high end gear as there used to be, primarily because of crazy policies that have hurt sellers terribly, so prices tend to be higher, bargains fewer, and so you have to be more patient, but you can pick up good to excellent deals IF you are patient and follow all precautions...

You've already spotted one "scam" listing, so that's a good start, and Don gives good suggestions too. It can be done, and does save you $$, if you are careful and take a little time to find a legit seller!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks all for the timely replies. I've always bought new off the shelf and have usually had good luck until my last camera. I am glad to hear that some of you have had good luck buying a camera off of Ebay. Going to a reputable bricks and mortar vendor like B&H isn't practical for me as I live in the middle of the Smoky Mtns where the only place to buy a camera is Walmart. Atlanta is about 150 miles away. Does anyone know of a reputable vendor in Atlanta? Thanks again for the responses.

BTW: I'm looking for a lightly used EX3 with hopefully some batteries and SxS cards included.
Joe Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #11
Slash Rules!

Do you have to go in person? Should be able to order anything from B&H and similar places online. If there's an issue when you received I'm sure (never had to find out) they have a fair return policy.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #12
Regular Crew

If someone were to purchase this camera, after having tried it out and finding it in good condition, what is the most expensive “hidden defect” that could show up after having purchased it.
To Joe: I own a couple of pieces of property just down the road from you in Robbinsville, North Carolina.
Old March 31st, 2013, 06:19 AM   #13
Space Hipster

Don't forget this site's own Private Classified section. EX3s show up every now and then.

In my opinion, I'd get a new PMW200 instead of an EX3. They have the same chip set (or close to it) but the 200 has the 50mbps, 4:2:2 XDCAM codec. To me, that trumps the removable lens on the EX3. B&H had used 200s for $5,200, which I think is a great price.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2013, 07:40 AM   #14
Major Player

Even though I own an EX-3, +2 on the PMW200, if buying from scratch today.

I loved the idea of the interchangeable lenses, but frankly, I've only done it twice for testing. If I owned a 1/2 fuji full sized zoom, it might be different. But the 50mbps, 4:2:2 recording on the PMW200 will set you up for quite a while.

One other option is to go through one of the gear brokers. They've checked out the camera, and hold camera and payment until everything completes. So you know the gear exists, and that it will be shipped when you pay. For the seller, you pay a fee, but know you'll be paid. for the buyer, perhaps less of a deal, but you know you'll get what you pay for.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2013, 08:54 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Thanks again everyone! This is an awesome site. Post a question and get multiple professional responses in less than 24 hours.

I had looked at the 200 but I prefer the viewfinder/LCD setup of the EX3 with the peaking and zebra controls right where I'm used to finding them plus I heard the smaller viewfinders aren't as nice for critical focus. I don't think I'll need the 4:2:2 colorspace anytime soon but it would be nice for the future. Can anyone post up a link of a critical review of the differences between EX3 and new 200? I've seen the 200 compared to the EX1R but not the EX3.

Also... It seems that the EX3 is a favorite product of the scammers. I've googled for classified listing in Atlanta hoping I could maybe find a DP selling one. One guy emailed me back saying he was no longer in Atlanta and had to take the camera with him. He said he would be willing for me to wire the money and he would handle the shipping expenses from Britain. The asking price $1700. LOL
Joe Holt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion