Optical question... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 2nd, 2002, 11:44 AM   #16
New Boot

I have no filter on the lens. I've noticed that, generaly, all pictures where there is a bright background have the same effect. It is as if the white light from the bright background pours over the darker areas. Since the white light is broken down into different wave lenghts (as with a prizm), it results in colored contours for dark objects against bright white backgrounds.

Marc.
Marc Potvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2002, 01:30 PM   #17
Warden

What is it like if the subject is not so back lit? I would be talking to Sony. Your footage is basically unuseable for any type of nature/wildlife work. If sony agrees to look at the camera send your tape along so that they can see the type of problems your having. Good luck.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2002, 04:33 PM   #18
Regular Crew

"bird" camera

Although I can't offer technical advice I can share some experiences shooting birds. I spend a good deal of time video taping birds throughout North America. My first cam was a Hi8 and although it forced me to improve my tracking skills it left a lot to be desired as a bird cam. Graduating to a Sony VX 1000 was a bit of an improvement but its "short" lens meant that I needed a tele-converter and I made the mistake of buying a cheap one. Ultimately I bought a Century Precision Optics 2X tele-converter that allowed me to take some fairly good shots. A real break through came when I bought a GL1. This is a great camera and with its 20X Optical Zoom (a wonderful lens) and Century tele-converter I really began to make some progress. I now shoot mainly with an XL1s and a Tamron 80-300mm lens. It's much easier to get get footage with this set-up and often without disturbing the bird. Good birding!!
Old December 8th, 2002, 06:58 PM   #19
Major Player

Spectral defraction, is my guess.

Your at about my Latitude, mine being in the Adirondack Mountains of NY state. And, therefore, I suggest it is caused by the low angle of the sun to the horizon.

I particuarly note it in winter, when there is a great deal of reflective light. In particular, when using a +1, or, +2 barlow.

In general, a reposition of the camera seems to be the answer; or, fill light.
Old December 9th, 2002, 01:20 PM   #20
Major Player

Robert, what do you mean by spectral diffraction?
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion