Interesting article relating to new media storage. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 26th, 2013, 01:49 AM   #1
Trustee

Interesting article relating to new media storage.

BBC's Thatcher coverage highlights problems with non-digital archives | Media | guardian.co.uk
Old April 26th, 2013, 03:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Interesting article relating to new media storage.

It would be interesting to know what sort of capacity they have for all that material, and material yet to be shot. I'm thinking in terms of the 14Tb I'm up to at home, so the Beeb's capacity would have to be massive.

It is also a wee bit surprising that Maggie's passing caught them out. My understanding is that major broadcasters try to be well prepared for mega-famous people who are getting into their dotage.
Old April 27th, 2013, 01:45 AM   #3
Trustee

They do need to be prepared but a lot of the problem is that the bean counters prevent a lot of it to save money.

When I was at The Bill ten years ago we had 200Tb of storage to cover standard def and it was always full I think the biggest problem will be that they will never have enough manpower to digitise all the old material and even then by the time most of it is done new technology will take over and mean a further transfer.

At least I think they have standardised on AVC Intra as the archive format at the BBC.
Old April 27th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I'm aware of some media archives that are currently measured in the hundreds of petabytes and growing fast!

I'm sure we'll soon see some company pass the exabyte boundary.

Big concern with a lot of these archives beyond the complexity of keeping them intact is the question of how they'll be accessible in a couple of hundred years as technology shifts underneath them. As museums and libraries digitize all their collections, questions about multi-century future proofing are serious.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 02:01 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Given the amount of older kit the BBC had, it's surprising (although knowing the Beeb, not really) that they hadn't maintained an infrastructure to allow access to material that they've always traditionally used on fast turnaround programmes.

They also used to have a network of lines/links that connected parts of the BBC, I assume the tube must be a cheaper alternative.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 03:32 AM   #6
Major Player

The BBC 'obits' department must have had Thatcher's story at a fairly advanced stage so I'm surprised that there was such a mad rush for new footage. Maybe it was a Freudian slip as I'm sure that there were plenty of viewers who would have gladly missed all those broadcasts regurgitating old news about her.
Steve Game is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion