Video recording surgery at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 15th, 2013, 03:10 AM   #1
New Boot

Video recording surgery

Hello. I live in Turkey.

As I need to video record my surgical procedures, which range from nose esthetic surgeries to open head & neck operations, I need suggestions regarding the best camera-camcorder to start with.

The real challenge is to be able to have a deep enough focal depth with manual focus control, white balance adjustability for operative light settings, be able to show minute details such as suture material and tissue details, while a light is projected to the field from above the camera throughout the case, which might last 3-6 hr.s.

I would like to keep my budget within 1500 USD.

All suggestions are welcome.

Many thanks in advance for your help
Mazhar Celikoyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 03:32 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Video recording surgery

A panasonic ag ac90? Should provide you with very sharp images, whitebalance you can set manually as the light source won't change and put in a large enough sd card that will allow a continuous record and it's a small sensor camera so you will have a large dof. Not sure though how long the biggest battery will run.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 03:35 AM   #3
New Boot

Thank you Noa for your response. Someone else did advise me the same camera. It is somewhat costly, though.
Old September 15th, 2013, 03:37 AM   #4
Inner Circle

No other camera sells such a camera at that prize, it's in fact quite low considering what you get. Other options would be small handicams but then you get less manual control.
Old September 15th, 2013, 03:39 AM   #5
New Boot

Thank you again. Aware of any disadvantages or shortcomings of this camera?
Old September 15th, 2013, 03:48 AM   #6
Inner Circle

You might want to read up on following article from Barry Green, he knows what he is talking about so you can trust the content. AG-AC90 Review - in the Dominican Republic
Old September 15th, 2013, 09:47 AM   #7
Inner Circle

since light is not a problem, i would take one of these small HD camera like this one
1080p Sports Action Bullet Camera Cam Wired Control 2" Monitor Mini DVR HD 93 | eBay

you can get it close to the action, purchase several ones to get different angles and even mount one on your head.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #8
New Boot

Thank you Giroud for your interest. With1080P Sports Action Bullet Camera Cam Wired Control 2" Monitor Mini DVR HD-93, I would not be able to have manual focus control. Besides, I am in need of a macro type of recording. So, it would be nice to have a small camcorder with manual focus option, iris control for deeper dof.
Old September 16th, 2013, 11:18 AM   #9
Inner Circle

the interesting feature of these small camera is that all is in focus. So no need to manage it.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 10:13 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I do a lot of surgical filming and have done since 1985 and I can tell you that this is a really fraught area. Many of the operating theatre cameras that are sold today have major problems. Firstly the sensor size is really small and these cameras are far too sensitive, in order to compensate for this the iris closes down well beyond the diffraction limit which causes all sorts of softening to the image (which is laughable when they try and sell this stuff on the quality of the final image). Other ways that they use to reduce the light is by increasing the shutter speed which is really unpleasant to view. What they never do is have any ND filters and that would be my first recommendation. You'll need a lot.

Secondly many of the cameras are automatic and this is just hopeless. Invariably the object that you want to see will be in the darkest area of the field and this will disappear when white gloved hands come in and out of the frame. And Automatic focus, well you can imagine, that just doesn't work. Head mounted cameras induce vomiting in live audience scenarios or require huge amounts of editing afterwards.

We've tried everything, but if you want quality at the end of the day you need a camera that you can have full manual control, have a large amount of ND filters and ideally have a camera operator. Otherwise it's just a big waste of everyone's time and money.

Oh, and a surgeon with a see-through head!

Last edited by Duncan Say; September 27th, 2013 at 03:50 AM.
Duncan Say is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2013, 11:46 AM   #11
New Boot

Thank you Duncan. You have been really so helpful and I can easily say that, you are so experienced.

In my case, I need to record nose surgery, which is probably the most challenging. I found a way to position the camera with a light on top of it. The issue comes down to the sensor size and manual control of most features. Are you aware of any camera that gets close to this definition? The suggested Panasonic AG-AC 90?
Old September 28th, 2013, 02:04 AM   #12
Inner Circle

The main snag is that to do it properly, somebody needs to control the camera. A locked off camera will invariably be a compromise. If it moves, or zooms, it needs an operator with a bigger monitor so they can accurately frame and focus.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #13
New Boot

Thank you Paul. I agree; yet, it possible to find a person to help with the larger monitor display which is located in another part of the room and having the camera covered with sterile material, I found the camera is located far nearer to the surgical site with different angles as needed. However, the smaller the camera the better off it is.
Old September 28th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #14
Inner Circle

If you can find a camera that has remote zoom and focus (not that easy) maybe consider a light weight pan tilt head - which aren't too expensive. A small jib could be all you need to get the camera up high, and the operator could have the controls and monitor on that, and not get in your way at all.

Keep in mind that many of the very good, cheaper cameras have pretty rubbish manual focus, and a bit of research will be needed to find out which ones can remote the focus.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 04:32 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazhar Celikoyar View Post
Thank you Duncan. You have been really so helpful and I can easily say that, you are so experienced.

In my case, I need to record nose surgery, which is probably the most challenging. I found a way to position the camera with a light on top of it. The issue comes down to the sensor size and manual control of most features. Are you aware of any camera that gets close to this definition? The suggested Panasonic AG-AC 90?
Hi Mazhar,

I hadn't even looked at the suggested camera but now I have I can see it isn't a "medical device". You may have to have a chat with Infection Control before you can use a camera like that in theatre. It has a tiny sensor if I understand 1/4.7" correctly and therefore the diffraction problems would occur very quickly indeed. On the positive side you can get full manual control over focus and exposure which increases the possibility of achieving a recording of the subject you want.

I am involved in a new theatre project at the moment for one of my clients and we have to use medical devices. We have specified either the Panasonic AG-MDR15 system

Medical - OP Cameras & Recoders - AG-MDR15-System - Specification - Panasonic UK & Ireland

or the Sony PMWD-10

PMW-10MD (PMW10MD) : Specifications : United Kingdom : Sony Professional

with a HD-SDI feed to an Atomos Ronin recorder. Because this is a new build we can get some non-medical devices into certain areas.

The camera will be arm mounted so that it is easy to reposition during the operation. For live-links and recordings for teaching there will always be a camera operator. And we'll being investing in some ND filters once we've seen it in action with the theatre lights.

Unfortunately, being the Health Service in the UK, we can specify but it doesn't necessarily mean that the supplied parts will be the same and I think the Panasonic system is becoming hard to find. The Sony system is probably out of your budget range.

As to your type of surgery being the most challenging - they all say that, try filming fistula surgery 15 cm up the rectum, that's challenging!
Duncan Say is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion