ADA comliance/CC in a web presentation? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 29th, 2013, 02:01 PM   #1
Major Player

ADA comliance/CC in a web presentation?

Just got a request about this, a client is designing an online training course and is asking if closed captioning can be available and optional. Is this even possible with an .mp4 deliverable? Should I just plan on baking in subtitles, and if so, is there an easy/fast way to do this? I'd rather not plug in title cards through ~2.5hrs of technical material
Old October 29th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: ADA comliance/CC in a web presentation?

No matter how it's done, it takes some time. Whether you're using an external file as below, or plugging it in as open captions in your NLE, you still need to designate what text displays when, a very granular process with no shortcuts.

The moderne method, not so well known, is to use a player that can link up an external WebVTT file. I'm sure we'll see much more of this as time goes by, as it is required in the U.S. in most education & training video that is even remotely federally funded.

As you might imagine, the WebVTT format includes a sort of timecode range in which the title displays, the title in plain text, and minimal formatting markup.

I like JWPlayer, which can link to the CC file and display a button to select the CC... but there are others.

Actually, "no shortcuts" isn't quite true. I think Youtube is doing a quick and dirty automatic CC from the soundtrack, but it's frequently wrong.

Here is an example of what a VTT file looks like:
Code:
WEBVTT

00:00.000 --> 00:10.000
This text is related to the first ten seconds of the video

00:10.000 --> 00:20.000
This text is related to the next ten seconds of the video

Last edited by Seth Bloombaum; October 29th, 2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: added example
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion