may I CHAIR something with you? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 23rd, 2013, 11:02 PM   #1
Slash Rules!

may I CHAIR something with you?

See, I told you I loved puns.

I don't know about you guys, but I sometimes have long shoots where I am more or less in exactly the same spot for many hours. I've been searching for a seating solution as standing is both painful and exhausting for that long (in addition to the fact that I'm short so I'm often staring up at the LCD on the cam).

I've been looking for some sort of tall, collapsible/folding thing (chair, stool) that transport relatively easily in a vehicle and on a cart.

So far this is the winner:

Impact Canopies DC Directors Outdoor Folding Chair - DCT, in terms of height with this

Deluxe Tall Director Chair w/ Side Table and Cup Holder

a close second.

Anyone else found anything better? I've google shopped and these were the best results.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: may I CHAIR something with you?

Ikea used to have a quite nice folding barstool with moulded plywood seat and back. No armrests.

Can't seem to find it on their site, but here is essentially the same chair in a stunning plastic seat/back.

FRANKLIN Bar stool with backrest, foldable - brown-black/silver color, 29 1/8 " - IKEA

I don't know if you've ever sat in a director's chair for hours, I find them uncomfortable because the canvas seat is actully quite hard and not a great shape when I'm sitting in it.

I need a little cushion for my tush!

On the other hand, I quite like the little side table on the second one you found, and if a little seat cushion makes it work...
Old November 24th, 2013, 11:15 PM   #3
Slash Rules!

I confess I have not sat (?) in a director's style chair for hours. Guess that's something to think about. I was looking at height primarily, the idea being to get as high as possible.
Old November 25th, 2013, 03:50 AM   #4
Trustee

That IKEA chair is exactly what I use on location but not for me, they get used for our sports presenters to sit on:
Here is a pic of me sat on one of them at a very cold Manchester City soccer stadium and as you can see it keeps you at camera height:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...pseddcbf98.jpg

I would get the plastic ones if you can as we found that the wooden ones got damaged quite easily and we also had some of the black wooden ones as per the link.
Old November 25th, 2013, 07:54 AM   #5
Slash Rules!

Is it cruel fate that ikea opens at 10a and i have to be somewhere at 1030 and i could use it today but only learned about these last night?

So we're all firmly in the anti canvas chair camp?
Old November 25th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
So we're all firmly in the anti canvas chair camp?
Well, I am.

When I've been part of the primary av services team for a meeting at a hotel, meaning we have a relationship with hotel services, we've frequently requested that the hotel supply a barstool with back. They frequently have a quite nicely upholstered... something in italian leather... If they will share!
Old November 26th, 2013, 02:19 AM   #7
Trustee

Me too and I find canvas chairs uncomfortable for any period of time.
Old November 26th, 2013, 04:59 AM   #8
Slash Rules!

I've learned relying on others for. . .well, pretty much anything. . .is a mistake. So I try to bring my own stuff when I require it.

Luckily I live almost walking distance from an Ikea and they allegedly have those stools in stock so I can try it out in person, and see if they potentially have anything else along those same lines.
Old November 26th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #9
Trustee

Here is something DJ's use by a company called Odyssey. I don't have this model, but they're made to be reasonably portable.

Amazon.com: Odyssey DJCHAIR Adjustable Dj Chair: Musical Instruments
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #10
Slash Rules!

intriguing. makes me want to exercise. any idea of seat height on that bad boy?
Old April 13th, 2014, 01:00 AM   #11
Slash Rules!

Hey folks. Wanted to revisit this. Picked up one of the wooden ones linked to earlier in this thread at local Ikea, used for two days. I'm quite sore now, thinking of returning. It's pretty unforgiving, physically. Someone mentioned plastic. . .have a link? I've googled "folding bar stool" and can't find anything else promising (or I should say all other promising results lack descriptions of the height which is important. . .seats needs to be at least 29").

That DJ seat looks great except it's huge/bulky--doesn't look it'd fit on a multicart with a bunch of other stuff.
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:35 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I use the Ikea chair, don't know if it's exactly the same but I have a seat pillow for it and it makes all the difference. Otherwise it was too hard to sit on comfortably for too long.
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:28 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Back in my day we were just happy to have a job! No 'special chairs' with pillows... Suck it up and take one for the team!

Just kidding on this rainy Sunday morning...
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 02:21 PM   #14
Slash Rules!

Maybe that makes all the difference then. . .what cushion do you have/where can I get one? Is it just for the seat or the back support too?
Old April 13th, 2014, 05:06 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Josh,
To be honest, it's just a pillow that has been around my house for a long time. My wife gave it to me about 5 years ago, has a thin foam (about 3 inches) inside and is so worn now it's like it's custom made to my butt. I have no clue as to who made it or where my wife bought it. It's a brown material cover and I just throw it on the seat. Nothing for my back.
I bet any of the major retailers would have something that would work. Target, Wal-Mart, Sam's, Costco, probably in the furnishing department.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion