Upgrading from Z1U ... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 12th, 2013, 10:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Upgrading from Z1U ...

With the recent rash of CMOS sensors and HDSLRs, I wouldn't be surprised if some of you reading this have to google Z1U to know what camera I currently have.

I've been using it since the year it hit the market, it's been a great camera but it's starting to show it's age, has no depth-of-field and I'm really getting sick of having to "capture" my footage from Mini-DV tapes.

Camera technology has been advancing so fast (sensors, brands, recording media, formats, etc.) in the last 5 years that I'm at a loss for what the best choice is for my needs.

Here are my criteria, maybe you can help steer me in the right direction.

- Budget is about $5K for a full working body
- Don't NEED XLR inputs (though they're nice), but should have something more than a single 1/8th inch headphone jack as an audio input
- NO ROLLING SHUTTER!
- As close to full frame 35mm as possible
- Interchangeable lens
- HD-SDI out
- Auto-focus would be nice, but not necessary
- Generally prefer a purpose built video camera over a photo camera with video capability
- Would like to shoot in more than 1080p so I can crop (but won't distribute in anything over 1080)
- Overcranking at 1080 would be nice
- Obviously raw is best, but reasonable compression in the recording format is acceptable

Let me know what your thoughts are based on this criteria.

Thanks!
George Tasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 06:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Upgrading from Z1U ...

The ONLY one that fits this criteria is the Blackmagic 4K cinema camera. It's the only global shutter CMOS camera that is actually affordable and close to full frame as possible.

Blackmagic Design: Blackmagic Production Camera 4K

Only downside is no 60p, only 60i.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion