16mm and 8mm Cameras Becoming HD Digital at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 24th, 2014, 11:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

16mm and 8mm Cameras Becoming HD Digital

Check out this youtube. I thought as first he was using a GoPro to make the conversion, but he's using an off the shelf cheapo. I'm thinking about doing this with an 8mm camera, however the frame size is smaller, 3.3mm x 4.5mm to be exact. Can anyone tell me if there are any security HD cameras that can meet these specs?

Here's the youtube.

It would be nice if the original buttons and knobs can be made functional to the new conversion.This is the camera I want to convert.

Bolex Collector | Cameras | B-8L

I have no intention of destroying a beautiful antique, I only want to use a non functioning camera as the guts aren't needed. There are ton of broken Bolex and Bell and Howell 8mm and 16mm cine cameras on ebay and I think it would be cool to see them gain new life in the digital HD world as this kid did with a Filmo.

Last edited by Marty Hamrick; February 24th, 2014 at 03:02 PM.
Marty Hamrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: 16mm and 8mm Cameras Becoming HD Digital

Here is what's being proposed for super 8 film cameras, and has already been done in the Arriflex 16 SR 3.

Nolab Digital Super 8 Cartridge to Breathe New Life into Old Super 8 Film Cameras

Arri SR3 digital magazine.

P+S Technik 16Digital SR Mag Will Make Arri 16mm Camera an HD Camcorder | Studio Daily
Old February 24th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Interesting find, thank you. Are you sure he's using and OTS cheapo? That sensor looks rather large and he has a lot of manual control. I'm thinking its out of a stills camera, probably a cheapo. Otherwise, there are a lot of sensors in low end camcorders around and smaller than 4mm. Very interested to see how you get on.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 05:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

From what I understand the NoLab digital super 8 cartridge is only in the planning stages. It seems to be a massive technical undertaking. Its just that there has been a retro chic revival in recent years and from what I've seen this kid do with the Filmo, it looks relatively cheap. You can pick up a broken Filmo or something similar on ebay with lenses of less than a hundred bucks.
Old February 24th, 2014, 05:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Do you know of any specific models of HD cheapos with small sensors?
Old February 25th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #6
Major Player

Anything with high zoom range should do it, the Canon HFR 406 sensor is 2.92mm X 2.16mm, around $250 if you shop around and want to buy new.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 01:05 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks. The Bolex 8L and some of the others in that series are really pretty and would certainly add some retro style.
Marty Hamrick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion