cokin filters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 4th, 2005, 08:31 AM   #1
Major Player

cokin filters

I want to get cokin filter holder system. I have vx 2100.

My zoom lens diameter is 58mm, so if i want to use filter on it, i have to buy adaptor 58mm and then filter holder for that, right? Is that adaptor screw in?

I have also wide angle lens with 82mm diameter. Is there any way to fasten adapter and filter holder on it? I mean, you cant screw in it...

What You guys think about Cokin filters? any good?

thank you
Andzei Matsukevits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 09:24 AM   #2
Major Player

opinion of Cokin

I have a 37mm UV/Haze filter for my GS120 camcorder, and I'm not very happy with it. When cleaning it recently, I noticed that the glass slides around inside the filter ring. I can't complain, however, since I think I only paid $11 for it. Like most things, you get what you pay for.
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 09:52 AM   #3
Major Player

The cokin system uses a filter holder and an adapter ring. The adapter ring for the P system is available from 48mm to 82mm

The adapters are screw in and the filter holder then snaps on to the adpater ring

in your case you would get the filter holder, the 58mm adapter ring and the 82mm adapter ring. If your wide lens doesnt have threads they have a universal ring with screws as well

The standard holder allows you to mount 3 filters and there is also a wide angle holder that only holds one filter

As far as filters are concerned i would steer clear from cokin filters. They are not color neutral

Get HiTech or Lee or SinghRay filters
Old October 4th, 2005, 11:36 AM   #4
Regular Crew

started kit

I had a starter kit from cokin which my father gave me with a German Praktica SLR for my 17th birthday back in the eighties. I loved it and felt "ready" for
pro work. I wonder if they still use plastic. I got some of them. The optic
quality isn't really good. Tiffen is the way to go.
Alexandre Lucena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 11:43 AM   #5
Major Player

Cokin filters are resin just like most of these filters for the P or greater filter holders. The optical quality of the filters is fine problem with cokin filters is that their ND grad filters are not color neutral which is a mess as you cant correct it in post if only part of the image has a color cast.

Tiffen filters are some of the cheapest ones. I wouldnt put tiffen filters anywhere.
Old October 4th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #6
Major Player

I have quite a few of the special effects filters (ie. speed, dream, center spot cutouts, ect.). These filters work okay for fun, but I'd either apply the color effects in post with a good effects package or use Tiffen. However, these filters are NOT 4x4 filters on the P system. They're some other size. So don't use them if you're using a matte box. For 58mm, the A system is the standard but you could use the P system if you wanted to with the appropriate ring. I don't use filters that much myself, I haven't had the need to yet, so I don't really have any other filters than the Cokin ones and even then they're only the SFX ones. I only recommend Tiffen because I saw their booth at NAB and those were some high quality filters, let me tell ya! =)

As far as the material goes, some are obviously plastic and the others are more like plexi than real glass-glass.
Old October 6th, 2005, 12:09 PM   #7
Major Player

well, i now i think about Lee filters, are they any good?
i can't affort top quality filters...

So if i want to attach filter system to the original zoom lens 58mm, and need adapter for 58mm and if i also want attach it on century optics wide angle, i have to get also 82mm adapter, am i right? And does filter holder fits both? (58mm and 82mm)

thanks
Andzei Matsukevits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 02:52 PM   #8
Major Player

The P-system fits both 58mm and 82mm with the appropriate rings so, yes you would have to get both a 58mm ring and an 82mm ring.
Old October 6th, 2005, 07:33 PM   #9
Major Player

The adapters all have the same outside diameter where the filter holder slides on so yes you need two adapters and one holder.

I also have the single filter wide angle holder but i would guess that you probably dont need it for DV cameras.

On 35mm still cameras the standard filter holder is to big and will vignette with wide angle lenses

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion