Advice on Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 18th, 2014, 06:55 AM   #1
Major Player

Advice on Video

I just finished editing the video I discussed in the first thread titled this. It was for an auction house about 100 miles from where I live. I went up and filmed last at the beginning of March and have been editing here and there since. Again, this is my 3rd video. Most of the advice I've gotten has been from this forum so if I've improved, it's been because of you guys. Anyway, tell me what you think. I'm sure there is lots of advice to help improve it. Thanks!

Brock Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 11:21 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Advice on Video

Hey Brock:

Nice work! Love the slider and the DoF. A few things for next time:

1. With an auction, audio for the auctioneers is critical...especially when it leads the video. That was pretty muddy and low. Better miking next time, maybe?

2. Pretty egregious jump cut at about 1:30 from MWS of the auctioneer to a very similar shot.

3. I like to vary the image size on an extended interview every couple of questions, just so you don't come back to the exact same visual every time. Also, as you do similar projects in the future, think about taking the guy out of the chair, and have him handle/display/talk about some of the items. Still get the cover shots, but this way you can mix it up.

4. Listen to the cadence of what he is saying, and make your b-roll cuts at natural break points when you can, instead of in the middle of a thought.

Otherwise, very nice work for your third time out!
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 02:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

So you went with the slider after all. Good choice.
Great ending, too. What a charismatic character!

You've really launched into this new profession swinging, haven't you? Keep up the good work.
Finn Yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 04:22 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ward View Post
Hey Brock:

Nice work! Love the slider and the DoF. A few things for next time:

1. With an auction, audio for the auctioneers is critical...especially when it leads the video. That was pretty muddy and low. Better miking next time, maybe?

2. Pretty egregious jump cut at about 1:30 from MWS of the auctioneer to a very similar shot.

3. I like to vary the image size on an extended interview every couple of questions, just so you don't come back to the exact same visual every time. Also, as you do similar projects in the future, think about taking the guy out of the chair, and have him handle/display/talk about some of the items. Still get the cover shots, but this way you can mix it up.

4. Listen to the cadence of what he is saying, and make your b-roll cuts at natural break points when you can, instead of in the middle of a thought.

Otherwise, very nice work for your third time out!
You are absolutely right on the audio during the auction. Once I got home and listened to it, I wish I would have just mic'd him up. Oh well. Live and learn.

I fixed the two shots that looked like a jump cut

Good call on getting the different looks when it goes back to the interview. Is it a problem if I just do that in post since I didn't physically do it in the interview? Will it make the shot too grainy or is that something I should just think about next time I film?

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.
Old March 18th, 2014, 04:27 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn Yarbrough View Post
So you went with the slider after all. Good choice.
Great ending, too. What a charismatic character!

You've really launched into this new profession swinging, haven't you? Keep up the good work.
I don't know why but I really felt like a slider would add a different level of professionalism to my work and I feel like it has. I have really enjoyed using it.

I've got a lot to learn, but I have gotten A LOT better than I was at the beginning of the year. I have you guys to thank for a lot of that.
Old March 18th, 2014, 04:41 PM   #6
Major Player

I like the piece. If your diving in to video right now your going the right direction. The talking head had some quality VO parts too which helps add to it, good reacts, etc.

In cases like this, I would hookup an audio recorder to the PA system and just record the audio straight from the mixer to get a real solid audio baseline, and then blend it with the room audio depending on which sections you use so you have that clarity of voice from the auctioneer, but a bit of echo so it still sounds like hes in a large room from the in camera audio.
Old March 19th, 2014, 08:36 AM   #7
Major Player

Brock: no, don't mess with a digital push for this project. Just something to think about for next time.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2014, 08:57 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Brock, nice job. Yes, the slider added a lot. (I need to look into one of these...) You told a story which is the most important thing. Always remember that beyond anything technique or equipment related.

Now, onto the tough part. Did you make any money on this job? If you did it for low money, do you think you can charge more next time? If so, how much do you need to charge to be profitable?

This does not matter if you are just doing it for a hobby, but if you want to call it a business, it is good to have dollar amount goals as you increase your rate going forward.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion