Black level question... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 26th, 2014, 10:57 PM   #1
Major Player

Black level question...

So...
I edited a project, burned a DVD, and viewed it on my Vizio TV.
Through the DVD player to the TV, black levels were washed out through players on both HDMI and Component.
When the iso file was viewed through the Macbook to the TV (HDMI), black levels looked fine.
When the DVD playing in the Superdrive was hooked to the TV, black levels were fine.
The TV, when viewed through cable, is fine, so it's not washed out in general
Yet the DVD viewed to the TV was washed out.
Why? And how can I correct for this when editing?

**On a (maybe related, maybe not) note, I've noticed that my nx5u hooked to the TV via HDMI is sometimes washed out as well. I haven't hooked it up enough to know if that's true for all recordings, just a recent one (not the same one as on the DVD). I haven't had time to troubleshoot this one yet, just putting it out there for information).

thx in advance =)
Kell Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 08:00 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Black level question...

Sounds like the old 16-235 levels vs the 0-256 levels. Computers, unless using specific player software with adjustable output level settings, will normally output blacks at 0 and whites at 255. DVD and BD players and TV are designed to accept in and adjust the output to the normal TV broadcast narrow gamut signal which is blacks at 16 and whites at 235. Hence images look less contrasty on the TV. Blacks are greyer and whites not so sparkling.

A tricky levels situation in reality. Check the following link if you want to know a great deal more in depth detail. Look for the sixth post by a Stephen Neal that starts with:

"Here's some (slightly abridged) background that might be useful for people new to this area."

He has put together one of the simplest but clear summaries I've seen on the issues involved.

The Pixel Format and Video Dynamic Range settings thread | AVForums

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 11:11 AM   #3
Trustee

Interesting discussion of IRE levels here, may shed some light: DV and DVD Black Levels Part 2
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 05:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys, I'll check those out.
How do you mitigate for this in your projects?
Kell Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion