Tripod and head at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 26th, 2014, 06:46 AM   #1
Major Player

Tripod and head

Hi,

I need to but another tripod for 5D Mark III, I don't want to spend more than $500. I am looking for something light but also that can possibly support C100 with 70-200 lens but not required. I have this and don't like it:
Manfrotto 190XDB with 701HDV Video Tripod System (Black) B&H

and I also have this and also don't like it (it's heavy, and cumbersome):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/683563-REG/Manfrotto_504HD_546BK_504HD_Head_w_546B_2_Stage.html
If anyone can recommend some options I should look at that would be awesome.

Thanks
Kathy
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 07:20 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Tripod and head

I recently ordered this because it is small, pretty light weight, and holds 26 pounds. And it gets great reviews.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/926476-REG/benro_a2350q2t_2_series_travel_tripod_kit.html
It would leave you $300 for a decent head.
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 07:21 AM   #3
Major Player

Oh, and it is also a monopod!
Old May 26th, 2014, 07:36 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian David Melnyk View Post
I recently ordered this because it is small, pretty light weight, and holds 26 pounds. And it gets great reviews.

MeFOTO GlobeTrotter Travel Tripod Kit (Titanium) A2350Q2T B&H

It would leave you $300 for a decent head.
Thanks Brian! That's great. Now I need to find a head to go with it. One of the things I don't like about the first tripod I listed is that there is no easy to level. You have to play with the legs to get it leveled, the second tripod/head combination I listed allows me to unscrew the center column and level the head easily. I am looking fore something like that and of course I want a fluid head.
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 08:08 AM   #5
Trustee

It is very difficult to get good function out of a tripod that is inexpensive. Also lighter tripods often are not good when using longer lenses. Always some kind of compromise. There is a Manfrotto set of legs which does allow you to bubble the attached head with a mechanism on the riser instead of trying to balance the legs. I put a 501 head on it. There are better heads now. About the price range you are looking at. I use it for my DSLR for the most part. Now I would look for the Sachtler Ace system.

Tripod Systems | B&H Photo Video
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 08:35 AM   #6
Major Player

I find this very useful:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/431861-REG/Acratech_1117_Leveling_Base.html
Old May 26th, 2014, 11:07 AM   #7
Inner Circle

You might call B&H to be sure, but I believe that this is a leveling column that will fit your 190-series tripod:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/272855-REG/Manfrotto_556B_556B_Leveling_Center_Column.html
Agreed, you really do need a leveler! I do like the Acratech products too, great design & engineering.
Old May 26th, 2014, 02:00 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Re the MeFOTO GlobeTrotter Travel Tripod Kit (Titanium) A2350Q2T B&H

This looks exactly like the Giottos I have - except for the color of the hinges. But has to be the exact same thing. I use mine for EVERYTHING because it fits in my briefcase when I travel (which is several times a month)

I use it with my 5 x 7 view camera (and just for laughs I put an 8 x 10 on it once) as well as a few heavy Medium Format cameras, and it never complains. I've even used my Black Magic CInema Cam on a Manfrotto fluid head. It works. And the monopod leg works as well.

Having said all the good things, it's still a light weight stills tripod and not a real video pod. It will wind up a bit when you pan and unwind when you stop. And I wouldn't extend the center column - it will make things much worse. If I'm working from the car I carry a real tripod but for something light and capable to stick in your bag I think it's hard to beat.

Re leveling attachment - I think there's no need in most cases. It's quick and easy to level the tripod once you learn the tricks. With the MeFoto/Giottos or just about any pod without a center spreader it's often quicker to spread one or two legs to level than to muck about with the leg clamps. I have a wooden Ries tripod that I use for heavy large format cameras as well as video and it has a system for independently clamping the angle of each leg at the top - easiest thing to level that I've ever had.

Last edited by Jim Andrada; May 26th, 2014 at 11:01 PM.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 05:07 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian David Melnyk View Post
Manfrotto has a similar unit which I use regularly.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554093-REG/Manfrotto_438_438_Compact_Levelling_Head.html
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion