When a v-lock doesn't lock at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 22nd, 2014, 03:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

When a v-lock doesn't lock

Just bought a couple of new batteries for my Sony PMW-350K. One of the 3 Swits I bought 4 years back died the other day so I thought I'd better get ready for the other two to follow.

Did a lot of research and came up with the Dynacore DS-150SI, what I think is a very clever battery with not just d-tap out, but also USB 5v and you can not only charge them in a normal charger but they have their own internal charger as well so you can just plug your battery straight into the wall! ( takes a little longer to charge though)

dynacore-china

So with bated breath I opened my parcel today, charged them both and went to put them on the camera.
They work, but they don't lock in place, neither of them. One I would see as a unit fault, two of them sounds more like a design fault. Now, I don't believe the latter as I have heard quite a few people around the traps say they use these so what am I doing wrong? Aren't all v-locks standard v-locks that lock? Is there something in the bleeding obvious realm I don't know about v-locks after all these years?

Currently they are unusable as although they power the camera sitting still, once you start moving around you lose connection quite quickly. It appears to me they don't slide down far enough to click the lock no matter what I do, any ideas?
Chris Tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2014, 12:10 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: When a v-lock doesn't lock

My first thought...

http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/k...-gaff-tape.png

:)

Last edited by Bryan Cantwell; July 22nd, 2014 at 12:11 PM. Reason: image only links, won't embed. darnit.
Bryan Cantwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2014, 05:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank Bryan, very helpful, not! That's ok, I got a laugh.
Found that the issue was a lug that seemed to serve no purpose whatsoever apart from preventing Sony cameras from using Dynacore batteries. So I found a hack. Excuse the dusty camera, just came back from another desert shoot.
Attached Thumbnails
When a v-lock doesn't lock-2.jpg   When a v-lock doesn't lock-sequence-1-01263314.jpg  

Chris Tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2014, 11:13 AM   #4
Major Player

Ha! Yeah, it was definitely jokes.

Glad you figured it out, though! Nothing like a little outside-the-box problem solving.
Bryan Cantwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2014, 06:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Mate, we live in the desert 1500km from the nearest city, thinking IN a box is our issue!
Chris Tangey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion