high speed camera recomendations - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 12th, 2014, 03:57 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: high speed camera recomendations

I couldn't get the video to play, ultra-slow connection here (feels like I crawled through 7 miles of broken glass just to get my DVinfo fix :-)

From their web-site, it shows that the high frame rate of 17,791fps is at 192 x 96. At 700fps, they are doing a more respectable 1024 x 720.

That cam could work for what they're using it for, with the required tethering to a computer, ability to control lighting. For run & gun I wonder if you just connected the cam to a small laptop in a backpack, whether that would be practical.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2014, 04:54 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Douglas View Post
one of my favorite things about the camera is the ability to trigger the camera after an event to record it - (thanks to the buffer)
Almost all high speed cameras do this.

Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 07:02 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Douglas View Post
so my colleague that was asking about the camera went and found a camera on his own. up to 18000fps and a price tag of only $5,500.

edgertronic
Call me suspicious, but their link says
Quote:
Up to 18,000 frames per second.

720p @ 700 frames per second
Which just leaves me a bit suspicious that whilst it may do 18,000fps - it's going to be at a lot less than 720 resolution........

{EDIT - Sorry Mark - posted before looking at page 2 of thread - you're obviously ahead of me!}
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 07:28 PM   #19
Major Player

Yeah that's the usual tradeoff with these types of cameras. Only so much data can be written per time slice, so resolution is traded for frame rate. The trigger is another feature you would expect to find.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 07:30 PM   #20
Major Player

I recalled that Egertronic name, from back when they were raising money on the kickstarter program. Good to see they are now making them. I like the idea of more competition in this area.

Not many details to be found on the Egertronic, they say it will have a codec that is widely compatilble(?). Okay, which one? My little Casio high-speeds store the clips as .avi files, and these are rolled into a progressive 29.97 frame rate. So when you play the clip back, it's already playing back in slow-mo, without doing any stretching on the NLE timeline (Sony Vegas at least). Now, the FDR-AX100 is totally different in that regard. It saves the clips at the actual frame rate of 120, so when you play them back, they play in real time with no slo-mo effect. I have to drop on the Vegas timeline and do the stretch thing to make it playback in slo-mo. For my purposes, I think I rather like this method of doing it. I have the 120 progressive frames to play with. With the camera's HDMI output, it would sure be nice to get uncompressed, 120fps off the Sony, but I think it's a compressed output and don't know how to determine anything else about that signal since Sony won't say.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 06:03 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Edgertronic, most of their videos are 500 or 700 fps which is what the camera does in the 720p range.

They have a video at close to 5000fps and you can see how small the frame is.
videos ? edgertronic

Personally I think 500-700fps at 720 for about $5500 USD is a good price.

There's also the fps1000 which is 550fps at 720p and 200fps at 1080p. The price tops out at a suspiciously low $1600 USD equivalent. There videos seem very low resolution.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...me-rate-camera
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion