Weird Problem any suggestions ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 14th, 2014, 04:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Weird Problem any suggestions ?

I have a Sony AX2000. I was filming a wedding last weekend and I noticed a problem in 2 clips. It appeared as a black vignette in the right side of the frame and the bottom. I thought it was my lens hood or mic cable. However, I looked at it while filming and even removed the lens hood. It was still there on the next clip but went away and did not return. However, if it happened once I am afraid it will happen again

I wonder if something is going bad in the camera shutter or lens iris ?

Here is a link to the clip

Any suggestions ?
Eric Kovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 02:21 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Weird Problem any suggestions ?

I'm wondering if something is wrong with your steadyshot. It looks like maybe the steadyshot optics "parked" wrong. I say this because the vignetting is still there when you zoomed in a bit. I also saw a "bobble" when the camera quickly panned. Try turning the steadyshot on and off and see if you can re-create the problem.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 02:45 AM   #3
Inner Circle

What also was weird was that when you held your hand in front of the lens at the end of that video the edge of the vignette became sharp for a moment when the camera tried to refocus on your hand.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 07:47 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The only other time I've seen an issue like you have is when a person does not realize the ND filter is not completely in it's correct position.
Just trying to add to the possibilities.
Once I freaked out with my EX3 having a similar issue...then after checking what I thought was everything...noticed my ND filter switch just a tad out of position because I hadn't clicked it completely into place. A lot of relief on my part when I "fixed" that problem.
Old December 15th, 2014, 09:08 AM   #5
Tourist

I had a similar problem with my NX5. It would do the exact same thing with the black vignette on the bottom and right side of the image. It would also sometimes completely lose focus and zoom out on its own, often vibrating violently while it did so. Sometimes it would do that for a few seconds and then be fine like nothing happened, other times it would do that and shut off on its own. It got worse over time to the point that I could not rely on the camera to function correctly through and entire event, and when you're shooting a live event you have to be able to rely on the camera to work. I ultimately had to send it in to be repaired, they replaced a circuit board and it ended up costing me about $1200 with shipping, labor, and parts. But that was almost 2 years ago and I haven't had another problem since.

I'm not 100% sure what caused the problem, the first time I noticed it I was using the camera outside on a 95 degree day and it overheated and shut off, but it wasn't really a problem until a few months later when I used it on some really humid nights in the fall and I guess some moisture must have gotten inside.
Taylor Meyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 01:22 PM   #6
Major Player

I'm with John, I would check the ND filters first! Just a little nudge could easily cause this.
Bryan Cantwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion