Camera information at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 18th, 2015, 04:55 AM   #1
Tourist

Camera information

Hello,

I'm looking for information about camera's.
What i'm looking for is the following:
PT(Z) camera. Or a camera that has some kind of PT(Z) controller added to it.
Does a PTZ controller exist?

I'm going to use this camera to attach to a telescopic mast.
I will use it to video sport matches and would like to capture the video stream via WIFI (so the camera should have wifi)
Furthermore there has to be some kind of mobile power source since we will move venue a lot.

Not sure if im in the right forum but any help is appreciated.

R Wortmann
R.J. Wortmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 06:37 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Camera information

Oh dear you have cut a thick slice of challenges for yourself there but you are on the right track. as elevation makes a big difference in seeing the plays develop and overviewing a good part of the field from a height. You will need to mount a camera at the top of your pole and I think bescor make motorized video head Bescor MP-101 Motorized Pan & Tilt Head MP101 B&H Photo
Any camcorder will do the trick really but you will need a long lanc to control the zoom
then you will need to view what the camera is seeing probably from the same HDMI out from the camera that will carry the signal to your streaming device. (forget wifi) you need to get plugged into the ethernet with a cable
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 09:24 PM   #3
Major Player

A big question that we all have is: What is your budget? We can suggest a package that costs around $500, or one that costs around $500,000.

Does the telescopic mast have to telescope during your shot, or are you just mounting the camera on top of a stationary mast? This is the difference between a few hundred and a few thousand dollars. Do you already have a mast in the venue, or do you own a mast of some sort? Does it need to be portable?

Why does the camera need to have WiFi? That's probably the least reliable type of video transmission out there, and is way more expensive than a cable (at least if it is of any quality.) How are you going to be capturing the footage? Are you doing it locally in the camera, or on a recorder or computer of some type external from the camera? How long does your zoom need to be? Do you want full body shots from the opposite end of a football field, or will a medium wide shot suffice?

How smooth does the PTZ need to be? The Bescor head is...ok for the price. It doesn't have variable speed during your moves. The direction controls are just buttons, so you only have one speed. Compare that to professional remote heads which have joysticks that allow you to ramp up your speed by pushing the joystick farther. There are also controllers that use a dummy tripod head with pan handles, and ones that use cranks (like geared cine heads.) This, again, is the difference between a hundred dollars and a few thousand.

A portable power source is dependent on the head and camera, but many types of batteries exist, so that is trivial once we know how much power you're drawing. Also, do most sports arenas not have power available? All the venues I've been in have had plenty of power hook-ups.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 05:21 PM   #4
Tourist

Hello me again.

I have a telescopic mast in mind which can mount any camera (also CCTV cams) to the top. The mast will be put in position and left there during the videoing.

I will need to be able to zoom and tilt the camera for better picture quality.

In order to be able to move and tilt i need to have some to operate the camera hopefully from a laptop or tablet pc.

I need to capture video on either laptop or memory card.

An extra would be to be able to watch the video live from the sideline since you get a view from the top.

I thought WIFI would be easiest but if thats not possible a cat5 cable will do the trick as well.
R.J. Wortmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 05:41 PM   #5
Major Player

I don't know of any remote heads that use a computer interface like you're describing. Most IP cameras, like the ones from Sony and Aixs, can be controlled that way, but the resolution of the pan and tilt motions is far too low to make smooth moves. They are security cameras primarily.

Sony does have some PTZ cameras that are designed for broadcast. They can be controlled over Ethernet, but they are mighty expensive, and have no internal recording function. Again, we need to know your budget.

If WiFi is only going to be used for monitoring, and not for recording, then the Teradek Bolt is a good option.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 05:42 PM   #6
Major Player

As a matter of interest have you any experience in the video field?
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion