Player for *.xpv files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 15th, 2015, 07:56 AM   #1
Tourist

Player for *.xpv files

I have some video files (*.xpv, *.xpd, *.xpi) that I need to play. I have some older files that play fine on the Integral Media Player obtained from Pelco (Schneider-Electric). But I have some newer files that won't play at all. I haven't been able to find any other players that will play or convert the *.xpv files. My end goal is to convert them to webm or mp4. I really don't need to play them if I can convert them directly.

I'd appreciate any help on finding something that will read and convert the files.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew
Andrew Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 06:16 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Player for *.xpv files

VLC should play them. They accept the most amount of different codecs for a media player I know.

I often render to m2v files for my media servers and VLC is the only player I found that'll play them. It also can convert certain files too.
VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework!

www.sublime-lighting.com
Old March 17th, 2015, 04:43 PM   #3
Tourist

Sadly, no. I've tried VLC and it doesn't recognize the format as a 'media file'. Even when I select 'all files' (*.*), it won't play the file.
Old March 17th, 2015, 07:22 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Have you tried changing the extension? I would be surprised if it's not some sort of MPEG4...

Media Player Classic is another player that accepts a bunch of formats.
Old March 17th, 2015, 09:16 PM   #5
Trustee

Problem is these are obscure formats used by surveillance cameras, and with the exception of the software (Integral Media Player) you have already tried, common file conversion programs just don't access these proprietary formats. Perhaps you can find a manufacturer of the cctv cameras who has decoding software on their websites?

If you google "cctv decoders" there are hardware devices that claim to decode any cctv file, some made for law enforcement and the like, but they appear to be spendy.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 10:13 AM   #6
Tourist

Yes, changing the extension is one of the first things I tried. No luck. xpv is a valid extension with its own rules and format.

Battle Vaughan, my understanding of the decoders is that they would need to be provided the actual video feed, not just the file produced by the recording software (which is all I have). What am I missing? How would I use a hardware decoder to view an existing xpv file?

Thanks,
Andrew
Old March 18th, 2015, 11:56 AM   #7
Trustee

First, I found this, perhaps it may be of use, appears to be updated software from Pelco: Article #14457 | The Exchange Knowledgebase

My experience from this is limited to from when I produced news, sometimes the local police public information people would provide us surveillance video from some crime scene, they had players that could copy the original video to cd format, which they provided along with the specific software needed to play it. Apparently there are lots of proprietary formats, particularly older systems, which are not commonly available codecs. Other than that I have no answer for you....
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion