Just Got Hired by Local University.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 16th, 2015, 08:52 AM   #1
Major Player

Just Got Hired by Local University....

...to be their full-time videographer/photographer (I think with more focus on the video side). Anyone here work with a university who could give me a few tips?

It's a smaller private D-3 university with a great academic reputation and, after reviewing their current videos, I realize I could easily do a better job than what they are currently doing, but I do feel a bit nervous about the prospect of stepping in and doing it full-time. I've only ever done it on the side. I would also be the only person in this position. They don't have an official video production staff. It's funny, the administration in that department doesn't really even know what they want as they all have been there less than a year. They basically want someone to come in make cool videos that help get the university noticed.

Anyone have any experience in this?

Anyone have any reassuring words for stepping out and doing video full-time?

Any general advice?
Brock Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2015, 12:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Just Got Hired by Local University....

I won't be much help but congratulations on finding wht sounds like a great job.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2015, 10:46 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Congrats!

Hopefully, they will have some additional budget for equipment purchases, rentals, and hiring crew as needed for larger, short-term projects. It sounds like you can improve their quality for solo shoots, but as soon as you need to do a larger project, run multiple cameras, hold a boom, etc., extra hands (and possibly equipment) are needed. If there's no budget for people, you will have the opportunity to test your skills at recruiting, training, and retaining volunteers. :)

BTW, my favorite piece of gear for doing pro bono AV work here at a research lab has been the Kessler Pocket Jib. I can wheel it around the building, and quickly put the camera most anywhere in 3D space. For instance, if a project includes a circuit board on a workbench, I can get the camera right on top of it. Try that with a tripod! I can take my hands off for a locked down shot or push the camera for a smooth move. I can get a high shot, low shot, or move between the two. Once the unit is wheeled into place, positioning the camera is much faster than with a tripod. And if you need to work with audio or lights, you just walk away from the camera and do it. Try that solo shooting with a complex rig or Steadicam!

Of course, a good tripod is essential. I mainly use one for speaking events and staged/lit interviews. Finally, a monopod is my go-to tool for run-n-gun. It's not as stable as a tripod/jib, but it takes the stress off the back, compared to a front-weighted DSLR shoulder rig.

So, yeah, my essential tools are the jib for local b-roll, tripod for fixed speakers, and monopod for running around. Add a couple wired lavs for interviews and a Video Mic Pro for impromptu shooting, and you're set.

Enjoy!
Old May 18th, 2015, 05:46 PM   #4
Major Player

A suggestion would be to get pretty good at graphic design for it. Either using Photoshop or just your editors internal graphics creater. Just using proper fonts, colors etc in can really go a long way to enhancing video, as opposed to "just video".
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2015, 09:52 AM   #5
Inner Circle

What Jon & David are talking about is, I think, typical of employment outside our more traditional industries.

As THE videographer for an employer, the challenge is multitasking and versatility to write, direct, design, shoot, edit, and above all, produce good value and outcomes. Think of yourself as a department head for producing internal and external communications. That your department is you and a group of virtual employees doesn't change the need and opportunity.

I hope it will be a great opporunity for you!
Old May 19th, 2015, 10:16 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Brock,

You might ask if there is a spare room somewhere that you can take over. Over time, you can treat the walls (moving blankets are effective and cheap), install a background, and set up lights. That provides a nice space for interviews and voiceovers with virtually no setup time. Bring people in, set the chair and your tripod on their marks, and roll. Even if the space is "temporary", once you've squatted with your equipment, it will be marked as "yours".

And Seth makes a great point. Considering your self as head of AV communications is the right mindset. More than being about technology, the position is about telling stories with a style that supports and enhances the university's brand. Understanding the vision of the leaders and decision makers could be very helpful in setting the focus. For instance, is it about the people, research, future careers, academics, sports, having fun, low stress, making connections, technology, low cost, location, online learning, the facilities, tradition, the future or what?
Old May 19th, 2015, 11:23 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Brock, lots of great suggestions already. Just want to say congrats on the new gig!
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 02:55 AM   #8
New Boot

Hi Brock,

Some good advice above. I will add a couple more things off the top of my head.

Get a good idea of your budget, and plan really well on how to spend it (don't neglect things like post production, sure the school has some nice computers, but doubtful they will cut it for professional video production) - also let them know your needs and they may be able to move funds around to help you out, or incorporate it into the next year's budget.

Don't skimp on gear - they want professional looking videos, the best way to give that to them (other than your expertise), is with the proper gear.

Get student volunteers who have an interest in video to help you out with shoots when needed - or better yet, see if they can be paid as work term students.

I may add more to this if I think of anything else. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

phil
Phil Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:39 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks everyone great advice here. I am currently on my second week and I'm not much closer to getting the gear I need. They have a new GoPro so I've gone around and made a few timelapse videos but haven't made anything significant yet as I'm waiting on new gear. I gave them a list of things I absolutely need and things that will up the quality of the videos I will do. I'll post it below and if there is anything else I need to add, feel free to let me know.

Things I need:
GH4
Panasonic 12-35mm
Panasonic 35-100mm
Headphones
Zoom Audio Recorder
SD Cards
Benro Monopod
Plural Eyes
Pin Mic

I already have Final Cut and Adobe Creative Cloud as well as a nice tripod

Things I want:
Rode Video Mic Pro
Kessler Crane Pocket Jib
Rhino Slider
Magic Bullet Looks
ND Filter
Extra Battery
Quick Release Plates
Nebula 400 Stabilizer
Metabones Adapter
Black Rapid Camera Strap
Brock Burwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion