New airline carry-on regulations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 25th, 2015, 08:14 PM   #1
Major Player

New airline carry-on regulations

It's not really new. It's been out since June, but I just noticed it. The airlines are restricting carry-ons to
22 x 14 x 9 inches. Can you imagine being forced to check your camera equipment so that the airport gorillas can throw it, and the TSA guys can rummage through it at will? What do you do when you arrive and find something broken? I'm sure the airlines will have profuse apologies waiting.

The regulations for carry-on exempt certain items. On my next flight, I will definitely be carrying a diaper bag. You can hide a lot of stuff under a few Pampers.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2015, 12:53 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: New airline carry-on regulations

They waive that for broadcast media traveling on assignment.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2015, 01:08 AM   #3
Major Player

Flew to Japan from Manchester via Copenhagen in April. An 800mm Sigma in my Samsonite suitcase well wrapped in clothes and the like. No way I could have taken that as "carry on."

Noticed once at the carousel in Tokyo how carefully the handlers were with the baggage, every case in a normal upright position with the handle to the top, making it so much easier for the passengers to collect.

Got back to UK okay but the handling at Manchester not in the Japanese league.

If airlines continue making life more difficult via baggage restrictions then they owe it to their passengers to ensure proper baggage handling and they and the insurance companies should get together so that there is protection available, okay at a cost, if things go wrong.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2015, 01:28 AM   #4
Major Player

I thought it's been those dimensions for years, which is why the Pelican 1510 case is right at the limit.
There's a weight limit too, but luckily hardly any airline ever weighs the carry on. I've used my 1510 to carry on a XL-H1A and XF305. I just got the FS7 and it looks like it could work for that camera also, once I break it down a little more.

Mark
P.S. The photo was taken in a hotel, not my carpet!
Attached Thumbnails
New airline carry-on regulations-1510-fs7.png  
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2015, 05:04 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Camera people carry the ENG camera on as cabin baggage, the rest usually going into the hold.

If transporting kit it's worthwhile looking at how the rental companies pack their kit in flight cases. There is sufficient and dense enough foam to hold the equipment. They don't over pack it in. There is a logical layout, so you can quickly see if anything is missing.

With cameras, they break them down, so that the lens isn't mounted on the camera.

All this is nothing new, I've watched my camera cases accelerate onto the carousel many times, but they're designed for the job. Portabraces are OK for driving in your car, but you need to rethink when freighting your gear.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2015, 09:27 PM   #6
Regular Crew

It's always a good idea to carry your valuable working tools with you. Bags can go astray and it's easier to buy new clothes than try to rent gear on location.
Never attach a lens to a camera body when shipping your camera.
I know that there have been instances of mount damage to cameras that were shipped in road cases. The damage occurs when a case is thrown down instead of being placed gently on a conveyer belt. Inertia forces the lens to continue moving and the mount gets damage since it's the weakest link. The pounds per square inch pressure is immense and something will give in.
Even when the damage seems to be minor, the alignment will be off and sharpness will suffer.
Peter Mykusz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion