camera recommendations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 19th, 2015, 09:29 AM   #1
New Boot

camera recommendations

I started shooting video for our company a number of years ago using Canon HV20s. It is mainly corporate style videos (software training, management interviews, etc) but there are some times when I need to shoot some B roll where I want some nice DOF. I couldn't get that with the HV20s so we got a 5D Mark II. That worked great for DOF but in video mode, I have no autofocus which has caused issues when I've tried to use it as my main video capture source. One of the HV20s is about to die and we want to get away from tape anyway, so I am in the market for 2 new camcorders.

I guess I need to pre-plan my shots better and figure out which ones will need DOF and which will need autofocus and use the cameras that offer that. But, while I'm looking for a new camcorder, are there any that you could recommend that have good DOF? Thanks.
Geoff Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2015, 12:48 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: camera recommendations

I'm guessing you are on a low budget. So have a look at the Sony pxw-x70 or ax100 both have 1 inch sensors.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2015, 05:53 AM   #3
New Boot

The budget is around $3000 or less per camera if possible. Thanks. I'll take a look at those.
Geoff Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2015, 06:36 AM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald McPherson View Post
I'm guessing you are on a low budget. So have a look at the Sony pxw-x70 or ax100 both have 1 inch sensors.
After reviewing the cameras, they both look pretty good but also both have some drawbacks. Since both are below my budget, are there any others with a large sensor like that that you'd recommend? I was really liking the PXW-X70 until I read so many reviews about how bad the auto focus was on it. If that wasn't the case, I think that one may have been a great choice.
Geoff Swartz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion