Cheap Camera for Beginner - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 22nd, 2015, 07:58 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Cheap Camera for Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
That's about what I would do, though with a nice old Nikon AF 35mm f2 or 24mm 2.8 with Canon adapter instead of the 50mm f1.8. T4i if you can swing it.
If you use the focusing system on the Canon 70D, you want STM lenses so its quiet and smooth. However, when I shoot manual (like detail shots or scenery), I do something similar to you. I have a vintage lens I favor.

----

Yes, all the talk of spending on lenses and such is why I thought spending $100 for a lens on his smartphone would be the, er, smartest thing for him to start with.

If his phone is newer and nicer (iPhone, Moto X, etc) it already has almost as nice a camera as any point and shoot he'll buy. And he already carries it everywhere. Put Dropbox on it (or some similar system) and it will even put his shots on his computer for him.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2015, 08:34 AM   #17
Major Player

I am not an expert, but as it is a general DV discussion, I feel I can add something.

I tend to end up shooting with whatever I can afford, which is not a lot. I bought a Canon HF200 secondhand for $200, original retail was something in the order of $1400. This camera has audio in and headphones out. It has limited picture adjustments and shoots 1080p25. It has 10x zoom and with some work into the menus, manual focus and exposure. I think something like this would be enough to give a good look at whether you like shooting DV without over-capitalising on a first step. It would still be useful as a second camera if you progressed further. I ended up buying another.

This is a 2008 or 2009 model camera, but I am still using them without any complaint on the quality for the occasional piece I actually produce for a specific purpose for someone. I even use a Panasonic FT-3 which you ought to be able to pick up for around $100.

I feel the desire to have the latest and greatest can really sometimes get in the way of just trying things out.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 02:25 PM   #18
Inner Circle

We don't really have enough context to know the best solution.

If the person wants to make a documentary, a basic, all-in-one, small sensor camcorder is the right choice. Then it comes down to which model as well as new or used.

If the person wants to do extreme sports, a GoPro would do the trick.

If the person wants to become the next Spielberg, an exchangeable lens camera is great for learning about apertures, focal lengths, etc.

Gotta know the job before you select the tools. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion