Vimeo changes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 11th, 2016, 08:44 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Vimeo changes

I just read that Vimeo is going to adaptive quality. It may be old news, but I wanted to post the link.

https://vimeo.com/help/faq/watching-...back-in-hd-why
Old January 11th, 2016, 08:55 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Vimeo changes

There is already a thread about this and their adaptive streaming is bs, the videos on my website all play at 360p and even on my fast desktop, and with a fast internetconnection, it doesn't change during playback. The problem is not with my internetconnection but with how fast the videos are streaming from vimeo, from imdb or youtube all videos play just fine up to 720p or 1080p, which is not the case with vimeo what might explain the fact that it defaults at 360p.

This is the last year I will be with vimeo and currently am looking at another solution.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 08:58 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Noa,

If you find a better solution let me know. My issue is I'm currently with Smugmug, which has Vimeo imports, although I'm having problems since the quality on Smugmug is not as good as Vimeo strait. I did notice that Vimeo will give us the option to force the quality, did you try that and it still degrades?
Old January 11th, 2016, 09:03 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If I change the playbackquality the quality increases but only not sure if my clients know that and then get to watch a low rez soft looking trailer full screen on their laptop, that looks hideous. The biggest problem by far is the streaming speed from vimeo, that's the bottleneck in my case and it's very depended at what time of day I play the videos.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 11:05 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Not the best response I could have received from my concerns.

"Hi there,
Thanks for reaching out.
1. Our new adaptive streaming technology has been enabled for your account. As a result, is no longer necessary to default videos to HD on a viewer’s behalf. The best video quality will be selected adaptively for your viewers, based on his or her viewing environment. This means that if a viewer’s computer and Internet connection is able to handle HD video, they will receive that automatically (up to 4K!).
We know that this is quite a change from the old system, but we’re very excited about it: adaptive streaming means that all users will receive the best playback experience possible.
2. If the video you’re viewing looks less than stellar and would like to choose a higher quality for playback, you can do so by clicking on the “HD” toggle in the lower right-hand corner of the player. This will reveal a menu of quality options. Choose your preferred quality, and enjoy!
It’s important to note that higher qualities require faster network connections and better graphics processing ability. If you choose a quality beyond what your playback environment can handle, you will experience buffering delays and/or dropped frames.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions!
Sincerely,
Emily G
"
Old January 11th, 2016, 08:01 PM   #6
Major Player

Fair enough to give viewers choices other than 80's looking era videos or eternally buffering 4K playback. But at least they should have made the options clearer for normal viewers. Here at my house with broadband speed of 12Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up their streaming playback often annoyingly switches back and forth between 2 or maybe 3 levels of resolution of the same video clip during even the less busy times.

I switched to YouTube as my main outlet sometime ago. Not because of these streaming issues but because of their search engine that often failed to recognize keywords in the tag or the title itself.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 08:22 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacharapong Chiowanich View Post
Fair enough to give viewers choices other than 80's looking era videos or eternally buffering 4K playback. But at least they should have made the options clearer for normal viewers. Here at my house with broadband speed of 12Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up their streaming playback often annoyingly switches back and forth between 2 or maybe 3 levels of resolution of the same video clip during even the less busy times.

I switched to YouTube as my main outlet sometime ago. Not because of these streaming issues but because of their search engine that often failed to recognize keywords in the tag or the title itself.
I just don't understand why. Why not let evolution play out. If you have the connection, then good, if not, so be it. But let the viewer choose. I'm guessing Vimeo's servers may be from the 80s and not able to handle the throughput, who knows.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion