Bike documentary, what equip, what bike? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 26th, 2016, 07:04 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: Bike documentary, what equip, what bike?

Blackburn Design did not choose me to ride from Canada to Mexico. The competition was fierce with incredible application films. At least one appeared to be professionally edited, but there were artifacts. Kudos to the 7 winners.

I entered this event thinking the only way I could take off 3 months and ride a bike was if I won this "competition". Finally, I realized, I don't have to win anything. Bikes are not THAT expensive. Like good video cams, you can spend big bucks, but you don't have to.

I am going on the trip anyway. The route has changed. Instead of Vancouver to Mexico, I am now thinking Breckenridge, Colorado, to Seattle, Washington, then Pacific coast to San Francisco, return Colorado. That is about 5,000 miles by bike. I may not come close to finishing this ambitious route, but I will have a lot of fun trying.

I just ordered a refurbed GH4, with the weather sealed lens suggested by Noa. The lens just dropped $100.00. I will also probably order a stabilizer for the go pro cams we have.

Where will my finished product air? Turns out there are a lot of film festivals for people who film by bike. From there, we will have to see. I still have a ton to learn.

Wish me luck, thanks to date for all the advice and best wishes from many of you.
Tim Paynter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2016, 07:14 PM   #32
Major Player

Re: Bike documentary, what equip, what bike?

I know this is a video forum, not a bike forum, but because, in the oddest way, a bike is part of making a good video, I thought I would relate what I learned about the Surly Straggler for a long distance touring bike. John, the Straggler has a short wheel base hence makes pedaling with panniers more difficult. The traditional touring bike is the Long Haul Trucker. Iohan, whose film link I placed earlier in the thread, just emailed me from Costa Rica. He started in Alaska. He rode a Surly Troll all that way, which is a mountain bike. Most of his shots were made from a tripod.

I went with the GH4 cam instead of the familiar form factor of a video cam after reading a number of your posts. The GH4 is weather sealed, and will fit around my neck. A regular video cam is going to be akward as hell. I bought the better lens after taking the advice of many of you on the forum, the lens is going to make a difference.

Again, thanks for all the advice. I don't chirp in all the time, but I am here, reading away, and learning more about the craft of making solid video productions.
Tim Paynter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion