To Change Clothes or Not to Change Clothes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 9th, 2016, 12:56 PM   #1
Major Player

To Change Clothes or Not to Change Clothes

I am currently putting together a video modeled after the video below. It has the same basic idea (an interview with b-roll on top of it). I shot a lot of footage with my talent earlier this week, but I still need to shoot more footage to finish up the video. My question is this - should I ask the talent to wear the same clothes or would it be better to have them wear something different to mix it up a little.

For consistency's sake, I could have her wear the same thing but if I have her wear something else, would that seem like it was more "professionally" made as it may look like it was shot over more than one day?

Suggestions?

Brock Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2016, 01:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: To Change Clothes or Not to Change Clothes

Same clothes gives you huge benefits in the edit - cutaways, filler shots and out of time edits.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2016, 03:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

If the subject's clothes stay the same throughout the movie, nobody will notice or think anything of it. If outfits are changing from shot to shot, that will be glaringly obvious to many viewers, and will pull them out of the story / mood / information you're trying to present, at least momentarily, each time it happens. I would never do it just to "mix it up," but only if genuinely motivated -- to represent a different day (where this matters to the story), the character doing a different type of activity, etc.

In short -- have them wear the same clothes unless you have a VERY good reason why that would be unrealistic.

- Greg
Greg Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2016, 03:27 PM   #4
Major Player

OK great advice guys. I'll make sure they are wearing the same outfit. Appreciate it
Old March 9th, 2016, 04:43 PM   #5
Inner Circle

It depends. If the context changes, clothes often change. Let's say the person wakes (pajamas), goes to school (street clothes), swims (trunks), crafts glass (overalls), and gets an award (tuxedo). On the other hand, the day in the life might be from walking onto campus, taking classes, eating lunch, studying in the library, and going home (street clothes).

The context might vary with the story. In the interview, when the person in the interview says, "Last winter, I..." Well, they should be wearing a jacket rather than board shorts in the simultaneous shots. Even if they say, "Just yesterday...", then the clothes should be slightly different. You can minimize the change by using similar shades and tones, but don't make it look like the person slept in their clothes.

Bottom line: story is king. :)
Old March 10th, 2016, 07:14 AM   #6
Major Player

Good advice. I'll keep that in mind
Old March 10th, 2016, 02:34 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Think of it like the option of a cut or dissolve - one means the same time, the other means time has passed. Changes in costume/clothing usually follow the same rule.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion