Narration Recording at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 5th, 2002, 03:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Narration Recording

I'd like to hear some opinions about voice narration recording for DV. We have a nice sound booth that was set up for analog tape use years ago and would like to figure out a better way to capture sound than the way I'm doing it now.

Currently, I patch a Panasonic DV1000 into a mixer and record directly to DV tape. Then, I haul the deck back to my editing area, capture the audio in Premiere, export it for use in Sound Edit Pro, mix it, then bring it back into Premiere for video editing. The booth is in the same room as video editing, but really too far away to direct a narrator while recording.

Thought one, buy another PC and record directly to it via Sound Edit Pro and avoid capturing at all.

Any other ideas? Seems like there should be an easier way. I'd like to find an economical solution (under $2K or so).

Thanks!

"I'd do it for free but I don't!"
John Paulsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2002, 09:43 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

John,
Are you using a PC platform or a Mac for your editing? Reason I ask: Final Cut Pro has a very nice "voice-over" facility.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2002, 03:42 AM   #3
Regular Crew

That's interesting - what's it called and how does it work - I can't see anything in my Final Cut Pro (2) book under 'voice over' in the index?
Justin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2002, 05:09 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'ts FCP 3.
Bryan Johannes Onel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2002, 06:32 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm using a Mac with Premiere; we don't have FCP. The booth is too far away from the computer (and it's not convenient to move it) for voice recording.

We may have to use a dedicated computer for voice recording, or perhaps there is some other digital recording gadget that would be easier vs. my current very cumbersome method.

Old December 6th, 2002, 06:34 AM   #6

Has anyone tried the "voice-over" feature in FCP? If so, I'm wondering how you block out the computer hum.
Old December 6th, 2002, 06:52 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Something that might get you by until you sort things out...

I use an audio-technica ATW-T28 radio mic with the receiver plugged into the sound card. Record audio using Nero Wave editor and import into Premiere.

or

A real quicky is using the 'record narration' option in PowerPoint.

Ross
Ross Milligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2002, 07:42 AM   #8
Warden

Hi John,

A real easy way to do narration on a Mac is with the Griffen iMic http://griffintechnology.com/products/imic/index.html If you don't have any audio recording programs, like Peak Deck LE http://www.bias-inc.com/products/deck_le/index.html then get Audio Recorder (shareware $20) http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...d=10417&db=mac This will allow you with minimal expense, to get audio into your Mac. I use an intercom from Radio Shack to communicate with the narrator in the sound booth. I capture direct audio files and import them into FCP.

If you don't want to update at this time I would continue recording to your camera and capturing the audio into Premiere.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2002, 10:55 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Headphone system maybe?

In our studio we have a Furman headphone distribution system (HD-6/HR-6) that allows the engineer or producer to talk to the talent in several different rooms. It's a pretty elaborate setup, but a simple headphone amp like the Rane, Behringer (or similar), may help solve your problems. If you have some phones in the vocal booth it would allow you to both monitor what the talent hears and communicate with them to direct thier dialog etc. The whole rig should cost < $500 even with some nice phones, cables etc. It's an awesome way to cut down on carpet wear, allowing you to communicate with talent in several places all the while being able to hear exactly what they are hearing, and it allows you to run the equipment and session from one place.
my 2 cents
Mark
Old December 6th, 2002, 11:41 AM   #10
RED Code Chef

John, you do know you should record audio in the best sound
acoustic room you can find, right? And that should definitely
not have any machines in there that make noice whatsoever!

So no PC's. At least put it in another room. Just lay a balanced
microphone cable to the other room and a video cord for playback.
Done.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2002, 03:48 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tip, but we're in great shape in that regard. The booth is sound insulated with a window between the engineer and the announcer.

I'm getting great quality audio from my present method of recording, it's just a pain to go through all the steps (see first thread).

I liked the idea of an intercom sytem via headphones. That way, I could record directly into my computer I use for video editing and still direct the voice talent, even though the computer isn't near the booth.

Thanks again.

Old December 6th, 2002, 03:48 PM   #12

One problem with FCP's voice-over facility is that you need to be watching the screen while using it. So if you can't get completely away from the computer you can make an inexpensive table-top sound booth from a cardboard box lined with acoustical foam (from MarkerTek, et.al.). If storage space is a premium (isn't always so in Japan?) you can build the box to be foldable for compact storage.

Just a project that I've actually been considering undertaking myself.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2002, 09:22 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Intercom System

John if you would like a basic schematic of a system let me know and I'll send something for you to check out. I don't know what mixer you have but if it has any unused AUX sends that is a perfect place to send the headphone mix to a headphone amp as well as any nessasary sound beds the talent might want to be aware of. It also gives you another level of control for the artists headphone mix. You are welcome to call (email me for #) if you need more details. It's also easy to put a video feed into your booth for the talent to monitor the scenes, but I'm sure you already know (or have) that.

http://www.tinternabbeystudio.com

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion