4k as Data on Blu-ray at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 3rd, 2016, 03:46 PM   #1
Major Player

4k as Data on Blu-ray

Probably everyone knew about how to do this except me but I've just put an hour of 4K on a 25gb Blu-ray as data using Nero. for what it's worth
The 4k mp4 won't play via Blu-ray player
Just a cheap way to deliver an hour of 4k what with discs down to 0.50 or there abouts
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2016, 03:58 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 4k as Data on Blu-ray

It will only be playable in a Windows or Mac device with a BD-ROM drive attached.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2016, 04:16 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: 4k as Data on Blu-ray

Now that 4K UltraHD Blu-ray discs and players are shipping, I wonder when 4K burners and authoring systems will come down to the prosumer level.

Regarding 4K on Blu-ray Discs, you can get an external BD ROM drive for $35. Then again, you can get a 32 GB MicroSD card for $12. But a blank BD-R disc costs only about 40 cents. If you send somebody three discs and a drive, you've hit the break even point.

But to me the more exiting thing will be to edit, author, and playback HDR. To do that I'll either need to stream to an HDR TV or burn a 4K UHD BD. Yeah, it's a reach today, but someday HDR will be standard practice.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion