Is there a new cheap updated switcher like the Atem Television Studio? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 30th, 2016, 12:29 AM   #46
Major Player

Re: Is there a new cheap updated switcher like the Atem Television Studio?

Hey Oren, I purchased one of those cheap gaming boxes to test it out today (along with a slew of other stuff for a whopping 4 big conferences coming up in the next month). Anyway, right when I opened it I could hear something rattling inside so I assumed it was potentially damaged. Tested it anyways and couldn't get that model to work. I set up everything correctly so it's most likely the box. The only potential fail point is that since my laptop is older and doesn't have HDMI out, and I don't have any Thunderboldt to HDMI convertors on hand, I just used my GH4 instead as the outgoing HDMI signal instead. So if for some reason that doesn't work for the capture box, then maybe it wasn't broken.

Unrelated I did notice when I plugged in an external USB powered drive the gaming box would flutter as the power waxed and waned. When I plugged in an external that was DC powered it didn't. But either way it didn't work. I did read that apparently because it records to H.264 and not something like Apple ProRes 422, most people use flash drives of all things to store the captured video. In theory a 32 GB flash drive (according to one of the productions) would be 7-8 hours, so for test 2 I'll try that as well.

Also for laptops that don't have HDMI out but have Thunderboldt, do you purchase a convertor to go that route? I'm assuming with the multiple different kinds of presentation machines they can't all have HDMI out.

Last edited by Josh Hayes; September 30th, 2016 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Added flash drive info.
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2016, 01:09 AM   #47
Major Player

Looks like of these boxes the 3 most popular on Amazon are the following.
*Other than the Elgato systems the other 2 have microphone jacks to record somekind of ambient audio for sync sound.

Elgato Systems
https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-System...apture+devices
-doesn't do 1080 24P though. It's 1080 30P.
*I'm guessing that's going to be the case for everyone probably. Which means I need to run a conversion for 30P down to 24P or else I'll have slipping in the edit when I'm Multi Cam editing it.

Haupauge HDPVR Rocket
https://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-Gam...2Bdevices&th=1
-also doesn't do 24P.
-powered solely by the laptop. Standalone

AVer Media Game Capture HD2 (points for being the coolest looking)
https://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-Def...apture+devices
-AC powered
-records Fat32

For the purposes of time for an upcoming conference, I'm going to go ahead and purchase 2 of the AVers, and 1 of the Pocket Rocket and see if either work. before next week. If not, there's no pressure from client, but hopefully they work!

Last edited by Josh Hayes; September 30th, 2016 at 02:08 AM.
Old September 30th, 2016, 04:57 AM   #48
Major Player

The audio is for voice over when playing games. If you need more than one converter I would buy different makes as I could not get my two Elgatos to play nice. Bought an Aver and now I can get two streams working.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2016, 05:03 AM   #49
Major Player

Hi Donald. My plan was just to plug a mic in and all it has to pick up is the ambient room sounds so I can match that the XLR feed from the av crew I get at each conference. General setup for me is every camera records onboard audio but a portable audio recorder gets the XLR "drop" from AV with the good audio. I then syne them all together. I'm hoping plugging in an existing mic i own at the podium will pick up the speakers and stuff enough to be like another onboard camera level mic recording. Do you think that works or am I missing something?
Old September 30th, 2016, 11:20 AM   #50
Major Player

For audio I intend to try this battery powered mixer with a USB adapter. https://reverb-res.cloudinary.com/im...jzx0gkklof.jpg
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2016, 01:03 PM   #51
Major Player

yeah for the conferences I work on, it's a favor for AV to even consider letting me plug one of these boxes into their chain of equipment and record the slides (especially since that's a service they supply) so adding a mixer or something like that is totally out of the question.a small mic on the podium though, isn't.
Old September 27th, 2018, 01:47 PM   #52
Major Player

Hi folks. Thought it would interesting to check back in on this. Not sure much the end of the thread's conversation about game capture devices but about the original question about a "budget" switcher in the 1K or less range. Anything developed folks know about with a scaler?
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion