Out of Focus Fix ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 25th, 2016, 01:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Out of Focus Fix ?

A Videographer I free lance for had a clip of a conference attendee sharing her experience at that conference.

The footage was out of focus and he outsourced it to be fixed. The results were pretty stunning.

Am scratching my head as to how he pulled it off. Is there a plug in out there now that can "re-focus" footage ?

The editing platform I use is the Adobe Premiere.

This requires fixes that are outside the ability of sharpen or any built in tools that Premiere has.

Last edited by Ken Beals; November 25th, 2016 at 11:54 AM.
Ken Beals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2016, 03:57 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Out of Focus Fix ?

Ken, why don't you ask him?

(Not trying to be clever - but it seems the best way of getting the exact info).

i'd be interested to know how this was pulled off too.
Old November 25th, 2016, 12:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

It's worth a try to simply ask yet knowing the individual who did the work is not very open with his toolbox was what motivated me to post this to our community.

Will pitch the question and post if get an answer.

In meanwhile if anyone has had extraordinary success in correcting out of focus footage it would be so appreciated.

Am sure all of us has had a very unhappy client because of uncorrected focus issues.

Ofcourse the best insurance is to make sure we're in focus during the shoot.
Old November 26th, 2016, 02:58 PM   #4
Supports LPFM Radio

Check out Unsharp Mask effects, both included with (some) NLEs and in third-party plug-ins. Google up some tutorials. IME, they're not "set it and forget it" effects, but they're also not terribly hard to use. Rendering takes A WHILE, but results are often pretty impressive.

If nothing else, starting your hunt with Unsharp Mask tutorials/advice/etc will get you off on the right path, I think.

Of course, I'd love to see what others here are doing...
Jim Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2016, 12:25 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Yes, unsharp mask is a key tool. If one creates a power mask around the critical areas, such as they eyes, and performs an unsharp mask within that window, the results can be convincing.

There are automatic means as well, but they don't necessarily know the difference between a pupil and a blemish. Also, they might sharpen the background as well as the intended focal point. So by combining a human-generated power mask with an unsharp mask process, the result can be quite good.
Old November 28th, 2016, 06:16 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Sony Vegas also has a plugin called Convolution Kernel which for me (just the one time thankfully) saved a wedding ceremony where the image was decidedly soft. I first tried the unsharp mark which gave only mediocre results but the Convolution Kernel was awesome! I'm not sure though, if Adobe has something similar??
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2016, 08:17 AM   #7
Major Player

I used Unsharp Mask in Premiere to save three 2.5-hour dance recitals that were soft due to issues with rental camera. Took a LONG time to render, but looked great! Just be careful not to over-apply the effect, which can have adverse effects (over-sharpening).

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Jeff Pulera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 02:50 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I like to use a little unsharp mask even on sharp footage, just to get things popping.

However, it lengthens rendering time as Jeff mentioned.

Is the longer rendering time a RAM issue? More RAM, quicker the unsharp mask render?
Miggy Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2016, 11:21 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Appreciate everyone's input !
Old December 7th, 2016, 10:16 AM   #10
Supports LPFM Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miggy Sanchez View Post
I like to use a little unsharp mask even on sharp footage, just to get things popping.

However, it lengthens rendering time as Jeff mentioned.

Is the longer rendering time a RAM issue? More RAM, quicker the unsharp mask render?
Since IIRC unsharp masks are basically particular Gaussian blurs, I'm pretty sure the main constraint is CPU speed (and perhaps number of cores). At least, I don't think it's RAM. Don't know about deconvolution, though.

I'm more than willing to be corrected...
Jim Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2016, 01:25 AM   #11
Inner Circle

There is a flashback scene in the Netflix series "The Expanse" where a bunch of protesters holed up in a room are in a stand-off with the authorities and they are killed off.

I was a bit confused by the quality of the vision as to whether it had been accidentally shot soft and an unsharp mask applied to save it or was it an effect applied to define that flashback as being in the past.

There are so many different production designs and looks to define locations, ranging from luxury on Earth to dystopian colonies in "The Belt".

My guess is that particular look was decided upon to firmly establish the flashback scene as a past event to avoid audience confusion.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion