Do You Offer Clients High End Cameras? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 23rd, 2016, 04:35 PM   #1
Major Player

Do You Offer Clients High End Cameras?

I currently own with a GH4 so anything I shoot obviously is shot on that.

I haven't been doing corporate work for very long, but I got to thinking the other day. Let's say a client contacts me and wants a commercial done for them. Would anyone think it wise to quote them for the current camera I have and perhaps a "premium" package for something more high end (ie C300)? Anyone here do that?
Brock Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 05:11 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Do You Offer Clients High End Cameras?

If a client insists on a specific camera I will quote them a rate that includes the rental. If the GH4 doesn't work for your specific shoot, then quote with the rental that includes the correct camera. If you feel like the GH4 won't do it, or the final product could be better with a different camera, then quote with a different camera.

If you propose 3 quotes (low, medium, and high) the client will usually go for the medium one.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2016, 08:30 AM   #3
Major Player

So low, medium, high

GH4, C300 and a Red Epic? haha
Brock Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2016, 03:17 PM   #4
Supports LPFM Radio

Usually, I have a chat with the client, figure out their needs and expectations, then talk about budget.

If we need more crew and kit (gaffer, truck, specific camera, etc), that's part of the budget proposal. Yep, they pay for it. Regular clients mostly trust me to suggest the minimum needed to totally deliver what they need on their schedule, and with minimal disruption to their biz (ie- four-six of us in their office & using up employees time for a day is better than OMB in their office for three days...).

RED and ARRI gets the warm fuzzies...and sometimes clients are willing to pay for it. And when we're doing ARRI or RED, I'm not operating...I'm OK but others are better so I hire them...

GH4, C300/FS5, and RED/Amira sounds like a reasonable breakdown...but the pitch it that the extra expense will give them better images and require less disruption of their world.

Hope this helps...
Jim Feeley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion