Long-term time lapse at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 19th, 2017, 05:48 PM   #1
Major Player

Long-term time lapse

Hi all,

I have a client that would like some long-term time lapse footage of a construction project.

The time lapse period could be anywhere from a few days to a week or more. Obviously the logistics of this are difficult. Media storage, powering the camera, mounting the camera, etc.

I don't have a lot of experience with time lapse (aside from the basics), and I don't really have a camera suitable for a project like this (I don't think the Go Pro would cut it).

Does anyone have any experience with this type of work? What type of camera did you use, how did you power it, what type of media storage did you use?

I'm looking to buy or rent a suitable camera, but I don't know where to start looking.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 07:41 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Long-term time lapse

I had a client supply me with a timelapse of a couple buildings under construction. They'd taken it from their security camera system.

Quality was fair. But, it did tell the story!

Otherwise you need a cam on AC power, and to do some figuring about how many frames per minute / per day you want to shoot. A weatherproof enclosure that's also secure, a stable source of AC power.

Were it me, I'd look into what higher-quality security camera and recording systems are capable of. They are designed to sit there, securely and reliably for years at a time...
Old January 19th, 2017, 07:57 PM   #3
Trustee

What resolution do you need to shoot in?
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 08:29 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm in the middle of a long-term timelapse project right now. The period is three years. I built an enclosure for my 5D mkII out of a Pelican 1300 case, a step-up ring, and a UV filter. For power, I used a Switchcraft Connex waterproof connector to feed 12 volts DC into the enclosure where it then went into a dummy battery that steps the voltage down to the 7.2 volts required. The intervalometer is set for one shot every 5 minutes. I can get two weeks of frames on a 32GB CF card. The camera is mounted on a quick release plate so I can take it out, swap cards, and replace the camera without changing the framing.

Here's a little video overview of the project:
Fast forward to 10:26 for the relevant parts.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 09:36 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Massengill View Post
What resolution do you need to shoot in?
1920x1080. The quality doesn't have to be top notch, it's more about the story being told.

Thanks for the comments so far guys.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 11:09 AM   #6
Major Player

I've used these on long-term construction shoots. You could build your own, of course, but if the cost isn't the biggest issue, and you want something pre-tested to work well, try Harbortronics.
https://www.harbortronics.com/Produc...eLapsePackage/
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion