HDMI Gaming Recorders - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 5th, 2017, 03:26 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: HDMI Gaming Recorders

Bulky? I was referring to the 6v 4.5Ah sealed lead acid cells with spade connecters and then add a voltage regulator circuit. That would be bulky, but very long lasting.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 01:22 PM   #17
Trustee

According to my plastic fantastic electronic micrometer, the supplied DC barrel connector that came with the Evolve measures 3.4mm OD and I estimated something around 1mm ID.

So I believe that corresponds to a Type H barrel connector of 3.4mm OD and 1.3mm ID.

I ordered a USB to Type H adapter cable and will test the fit when it arrives.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 11:08 PM   #18
Trustee

A few updates:

The StarTech USB2TYPEH 3-Feet USB to Type H Barrel 5V DC Power Cable arrived and fits the DC power jack of the Evolve and successfully powered it from a USB battery pack with a 2.1A outlet that I had. I would need to get a larger capacity USB pack to run it long enough for the presentations I record. I hadn't intended to run the recorder on battery power, but with the Spring storm season coming on, that could be a preventative measure to keep from losing a long-form recording file if the AC power failed.

The OBS software screen recorder worked perfectly for the other situation of live screen recording at the location where we have full-time access and ownership of the presentation computer.

I have to do more testing on the Mic audio input of the Evolve, but I have found out the following so far:
You can't monitor the Mic Input from the Headphone Jack. Most likely because the latency between the two would make you crazy while narrating your recorded game play (one original purpose of this HDMI game output recorder). There's no actual latency in the recording, just in the monitor circuit.
You can monitor the audio coming in via HDMI, such as from the audio inputs of a camera feeding HDMI to the Evolve. There is also latency in that monitor path, but if those signals aren't coming from your own voice you can handle listening to it.

The Mic Input does supply Plug-In Power. I'm trying to work out the best signal level to input for a clean, strong recording without distortion. I will do more testing on this next week.

Since you can't directly monitor the Mic Input from the Headphone Jack, you must rely on the visual indicators that pop up on the output screen (and also get recorded!) that briefly show the toggle Mute On or Mute Off and the level control settings from the Remote Control. I guess you could also add an HDMI audio extractor to the output stream and monitor that if the Mic Input signal was more important than just being guide audio.

Last edited by Jay Massengill; March 10th, 2017 at 08:22 PM.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion