Camcorder Help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 27th, 2017, 11:22 AM   #1
Tourist

Camcorder Help

I'm not sure where to put this, so putting it here...move if needed.

I am buying the wife a Pixio Robotic camera system so that she can video her dressage training sessions.

Several years ago, after quite a lot of research I bought a Panasonic HDC-TM900K camcorder and we were thrilled with it, until it got broke...replaced it with the followup HC-X900MK, and again have been nothing but pleased for the last 5 years. Smooth filming of riding, easy to use, works indoor with low light or outdoor in the sun...only issue I have is my old eyes can't see the lcd screen very good in the bright light.

Anyway, at the time this seemed the best by far to fit our needs, and we'd be happy to stick with it, BUT, the Pixio system does not support any Panasonic cameras for its controlled zoom process. The pan will work fine, but no zooming. So, I'm thinking to buy a supported camcorder to go along. I just don't have the time to do the research I did years ago.

Pixio supports most Sony & Cannon Camcorders.

Our needs are mostly filming horse riding activities in either indoor or outdoor arenas...could be anywhere from dim lighted indoors to bright sun outside to dusk or outdoor lighted. Max distance is ~250'. Don't need 4K, but don't know if we can avoid it and still get a good camera either... Don't need special things like built in projectors either, but again, if its bundled and can't avoid it, so be it.... Really looking for the camcorder that will produce the best HD (1080) picture for an active sport in diverse lighting conditions. Our Panasonic is still really good...don't want to go backwards in performance. Price IS an object...not looking at high $ pro cameras, but not skimping either...paid in the $1000 range for the one we have, and would HOPE 5 yrs later I could get a similar quality camera for less, but would go to a similar price range if I had to.

Any Sony or Cannon suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2017, 01:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Camcorder Help

Hi Jeff,

I did some research and the robotic unit is using the LANC remote protocol, which is why it only works with Sony and Canon cameras - Panasonic has their own control protocol.

Here is a link to Sony and Canon models recommended by Move n See - PIXIO Customer Care Center - Move 'N See

Most of the new Sony cameras use a proprietary multi-plug, and that is included with the Move N See. LANC originally used the 2.5mm jack, and later Sony used the AV/R plug, but newest models typically have the Multi connector. According to Movensee.com, all Canon cameras use the 2.5mm jack. Whichever camera you decide on, find out what connector it has in case you need to order an adapter, so it doesn't delay using the new device.
Attached Thumbnails
Camcorder Help-lanc-cables.jpg  
Old March 29th, 2017, 03:33 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks.

I think I've got it narrowed down to:

1) Canon VIXIA HF G40 ~$1000
2) Canon VIXIA HF G20 ~$ 700
3) Sony FDRAX33 ~$ 750
4) Sony FDRAX53 ~$ 900
5) Sony HDRCX675 ~$ 525
6) Sony HDRCX900 ~$1200

Any advice on which might be the most appropriate for our needs...or comparisons on pros/cons would be appreciated. If the $500 model will perform as well as our panasonic, I'd LOVE to go that route (hell, cheaper if I could), but if I need to spring the $1200 to get something comparable, I will.

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2017, 08:21 AM   #4
Major Player

Use a Sony PXW-X70 from the Sony professional line, however the CX900 I believe is the consumer version using same lens and image sensor. If that is indeed the case, the image quality should be amazing because the X70 video just blows me away.

Thanks
Old March 30th, 2017, 08:03 PM   #5
Inner Circle

CX900 is the HD only version, AX100 is the 4K version, X70 is the "pro" version, which is HD, but has a 4K "upgrade" option at additional cost.

It might be worth investigating the Sony RX series cameras (RX10M2 and M3 specifically), as the interface on the MULTI (hot rodded USB) port has at least some of the same LANC functions/capabilities that the video cameras have. Sony wired remotes use that MULTI port across their lines, in a somewhat mixed implementation from my experience - the RX's should have the basic functions you need on that port, similar to the video cams.

With the systweak software app/hack, the record limits are bypassed on the RX's, and the price on a used RX10M2 is attractive. The RX10M2 and M3 use a "next generation" sensor based off the one in the dedicated video cameras mentioned above, all of which should give you stunning results when set up properly.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion