How to improve my speaking in a podcast at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 5th, 2017, 03:24 PM   #1
New Boot

How to improve my speaking in a podcast

Hi every one :)
It is nice to be here once again.
I am producing a podcast here in my local town and it is not published online.
I've run it for 6 months so far.
I've got some feedback that I need to improve my talk in a better way to keep the attention of the audience.
I am a solo podcaster.
What courses I may get online to learn how to keep a good flow of the conversation?
Also what podcasts would you recommend me to follow to learn how to produce a better podcast?
I did googled a lot but most result were related to how to learn talking the language which is not what I want.
The feedback included:
- some word or a couple of words I keep repeating during my talk.
- sometimes my voice is high and another time it is low.
- sometimes it feels as if I am not interested in what I am talking about.
This is what I've got from various listeners with indirect way using some papers surveys.
When I review and thought about these reviews I found myself really want to fix it but do not know how.
I am very interested in everything I am talking about but it seems that I can not reflect this to who listen to me.
How would you recommend me to do to fix such things?
What resources I may use to improve my speaking skills?
I did goggled before I post this here to do not waste your time but all results were related to learn how to speak the language through listening to podcasts shows which is not what I am looking for.
Also I've go through various sessions in YouTube about how t improve speaking but found it very broadly and not dedicated or specific for speaking in a podcast.
Thanks for your valuable time reading my post and hope it is the right place in the forum to place it.
GR!

Note: Before I start the podcast, my main concern and interest were to get a decent hardware to sound great, but now I can confirm that hardware is important of course but contents and how you deliver it is more important, and I would like to know what is the term I should search for to improve the speaking skills.

Last edited by Gami Rosd; August 5th, 2017 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Add last line for a note.
Gami Rosd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2017, 06:50 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: How to improve my speaking in a podcast

One word....ENERGY....all good performances are based on the performers energy. A podcast is a performance.

Steve
Old August 5th, 2017, 10:41 PM   #3
Equal Opportunity Offender

Signal to noise ratio of the content is a big area of failure for people doing podcasts. Don't waffle on - just get straight in to the content that the punters have come for. Feed the chickens before they start looking elsewhere.

Take a look at the Soundcloud account listing here and scroll down to the "CultureWatch Radio" items. We're in to the content well within 30 seconds. https://soundcloud.com/bill-muehlenberg

Oh, and episode 16 was recorded live in the middle of a restaurant.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2017, 01:08 AM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
One word....ENERGY....all good performances are based on the performers energy. A podcast is a performance.

Steve
but will it be sound like acting? or it is the normal thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
Signal to noise ratio of the content is a big area of failure for people doing podcasts. Don't waffle on - just get straight in to the content that the punters have come for. Feed the chickens before they start looking elsewhere.

Take a look at the Soundcloud account listing here and scroll down to the "CultureWatch Radio" items. We're in to the content well within 30 seconds. https://soundcloud.com/bill-muehlenberg

Oh, and episode 16 was recorded live in the middle of a restaurant.

Andrew
I like it a lot my friend.
I wish if I can talk like that, I do not mean to shadow or do like you but I mean to keep talk in such flow without stopping thinking about what to say next or keep repeating some words.
How to be trained?
Old August 6th, 2017, 01:31 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Practice on family or friends or simply do a stream and record it only so you can check your performance. Yes if you are not enthusiastic about what you are talking about how can you expect your audience to get excited?

Andrew is so right ...you have to engage your audience and give them enough information to hold their interest within the first 30 seconds!

You could even post a short clip here (say a minute or so) and get some responses or advice?
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2017, 01:31 AM   #6
Major Player

Stand. Don't sit. This will give you more energy without trying.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2017, 01:49 AM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Practice on family or friends or simply do a stream and record it only so you can check your performance. Yes if you are not enthusiastic about what you are talking about how can you expect your audience to get excited?

Andrew is so right ...you have to engage your audience and give them enough information to hold their interest within the first 30 seconds!

You could even post a short clip here (say a minute or so) and get some responses or advice?
I've never thought of doing such a thing before and never listened to myself. Thanks for such advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald McPherson View Post
Stand. Don't sit. This will give you more energy without trying.
I will do so if it makes any differences and feed you back.
Old August 6th, 2017, 01:56 AM   #8

Here's what we do in radio to sound like we're on top of it all.

We prepare beforehand regarding what we will say, and we make bullet point lists that we read/follow as we are otherwise speaking in to the mic. The audience never sees this and is none the wiser.

Using dot point notes (and sticking to them) also stops you from wandering off and getting yourself in to an icky corner.

The rest will likely come down to practice and developing a fluency for doing that sort of thing. The more you do it, the better you will get ... and will even be able to think ahead to mentally picture what is in the minds of your audience as they follow along and to ask the very questions on the tip of their tongues.

Andrew
Old August 6th, 2017, 02:55 AM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Here's what we do in radio to sound like we're on top of it all.

We prepare beforehand regarding what we will say, and we make bullet point lists that we read/follow as we are otherwise speaking in to the mic. The audience never sees this and is none the wiser.

Using dot point notes (and sticking to them) also stops you from wandering off and getting yourself in to an icky corner.

The rest will likely come down to practice and developing a fluency for doing that sort of thing. The more you do it, the better you will get ... and will even be able to think ahead to mentally picture what is in the minds of your audience as they follow along and to ask the very questions on the tip of their tongues.

Andrew
This is really interesting my friend and for sure will help.
I was wondering if it is possible to let me see a draft for any preparation for any of your episodes and link the produced episode so I can read the paper contents and listen to how you produced or announced it (if it is not violate any of your privacy business) But it is very important indeed).
I can send my email in a PM if you do not mind.
You can send an old episode if you may mind sending the current or recent episode.
Really thanks a lot :)
Old August 6th, 2017, 04:17 AM   #10

I've just gone to my archives of the episodes and this is what I had for episode #15.

Quote:
Episode 15 – Culture Watch Radio .... Andrew Smith + Bill Muehlenberg

“Abortion Wars” edition

A lot has been happening on the abortion front over the past few days, particularly with a man called Troy Newman.

-and this has been happening under a new immigration minister

-So Troy Newman was viewed as a risk, but other much more dangerous activities were allowed to go ahead

-One is reminded of Isaiah 5:20 – woe to those who call good evil and evil good

-the culture wars are hotting up big time – where to for Australia and the West?

As always, more information and resources are available at the Culture Watch web site, and we'll see you again next week with another episode of Culture Watch Radio.
That's literally my notes for the episode. The intro, the question path that we intended to follow, and the exit line.

Andrew
Old August 6th, 2017, 04:37 AM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
I've just gone to my archives of the episodes and this is what I had for episode #15.

That's literally my notes for the episode. The intro, the question path that we intended to follow, and the exit line.

Andrew
Much appreciated indeed.
Old August 6th, 2017, 09:06 PM   #12
Inner Circle

There are also quite a few free autocue programs around that you can run on your computer ..they scroll automatically and have different text sizes. I find even with video, this is more convenient than bits of paper where you can easily lose your place and if hand written you are stuck with a specific text size. Of course, no matter how careful you are the paper still rustles when you turn the page (if you have more than one page)
Old August 6th, 2017, 11:34 PM   #13
New Boot

Quote:
There are also quite a few free autocue programs around that you can run on your computer ..they scroll automatically and have different text sizes. I find even with video, this is more convenient than bits of paper where you can easily lose your place and if hand written you are stuck with a specific text size. Of course, no matter how careful you are the paper still rustles when you turn the page (if you have more than one page)
Like this one
QStart Teleprompting Software from Autocue!
If you tried any of this software type I will be glad to know your experience feed back, I am using windows 10.
Thanks chris
Old August 7th, 2017, 12:05 AM   #14
Inner Circle

I'm sure it will work on Win 10 ..I prefer Win 7 Pro to be honest but it works very well with personal video streams as I put the camera between the two monitors and have my switching software on one screen and the autocue on the other so I can still look at the camera and also see the scrolling text ..useful to know if you ever decide to add video to your podcasts!
Old August 7th, 2017, 12:16 AM   #15
New Boot

Quote:
I'm sure it will work on Win 10 ..I prefer Win 7 Pro to be honest but it works very well with personal video streams as I put the camera between the two monitors and have my switching software on one screen and the autocue on the other so I can still look at the camera and also see the scrolling text ..useful to know if you ever decide to add video to your podcasts!
So you are using the exact software I've posted about above?
me to do not prefer windows 10 but it is installed in my laptop but I prefer windows 7 ultimate more for years.
That is really clever, you just opened my eyes for something I do like to do> can you post an image in a PM or here for your desk?
But what your computer crashed or hang during the show, what would you do?

Note: Really this forum is very helpful and I've tried several facebook groups and google plus communities and other forum like creative cows before posting here but really I never get such help, so thanks for all of you and I mean and appreciate it :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion